Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

70 Vista Cruiser front and rear bumper.

Search this Thread

Old November 13th, 2017, 08:08 AM

70 Vista Cruiser front and rear bumper.

I know this has been discussed a lot but, I plan to start on my Vista this winter. The car has a very bad faded repaint from probably the 80's or maybe 90's and it looks like crap. I plan to fix rust and repaint a little at a time. Now it's time to start getting parts. The bumpers on the car look ok against the old faded paint, but I'm sure will look bad against new paint. Last bumper I had rechromed was maybe 12-15 years ago, Can I get these bumpers rechromed now a days? I can get a repop for the front for about $300 but not for the rear. I have 2 rear bumpers but both are pretty poor shape I also have 3 ft bumpers in about the same condition. I wonder if I found the right place if it would be cheaper and better to get one front and one rear straightened and rechromed as a package deal? Anyone know of such a place not too far from central Michigan? Thank for you help, advice. Greg.
Old November 13th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Old(s) Fart

A decent quality rechrome will cost about twice as much as a repro bumper (depending on the amount of straightening) but it's worth every penny. I've used Qual Krom and TriCity Plating. Neither are near MI, unfortunately.