A "Different" '68 Cutlass Hood Hinge Question - ClassicOldsmobile.com


Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Reply
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
freqmonkey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shreveport LA
Posts: 6
A "Different" '68 Cutlass Hood Hinge Question

I've been a member on here for a long time but never got around to posting before......
I already know there have been a thousand questions asked about the difference between '68 and all other year hinges....I understand the difference....but my question is different.
My '68 Cutlass Supreme has what I "believe" to be the original hood, both hinges and both fenders still on it. My driver's hinge only has two mounting holes to mount the hood to the hinge and my passenger side has three. (Again, to mount the hood to the hinge, not the hinge to the fender.)
I have found a picture on here where the original poster's pic is the exact opposite of mine, this all came to my attention when I acquired another hood off a '68 Cutlass where both sides had three bolts to mount the hood.
I also have no spacers between the two so I'm pretty sure it's been apart before.
Not particularly important I guess since I could probably jam a spacer in the non drilled hinge, but it's more a curiosity for me....has anyone else noticed the difference in the '68 only hinges?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171008_183223687.jpg (2.46 MB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171008_183213837.jpg (2.09 MB, 21 views)
freqmonkey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by freqmonkey1968 View Post
I've been a member on here for a long time but never got around to posting before......
I already know there have been a thousand questions asked about the difference between '68 and all other year hinges....I understand the difference....but my question is different.
My '68 Cutlass Supreme has what I "believe" to be the original hood, both hinges and both fenders still on it. My driver's hinge only has two mounting holes to mount the hood to the hinge and my passenger side has three. (Again, to mount the hood to the hinge, not the hinge to the fender.)
I have found a picture on here where the original poster's pic is the exact opposite of mine, this all came to my attention when I acquired another hood off a '68 Cutlass where both sides had three bolts to mount the hood.
I also have no spacers between the two so I'm pretty sure it's been apart before.
Not particularly important I guess since I could probably jam a spacer in the non drilled hinge, but it's more a curiosity for me....has anyone else noticed the difference in the '68 only hinges?

There was an early assembly manual change dated 9/25/67 that went from two bolts to three. Your car must have gotten one of each

Last edited by allyolds68; October 9th, 2017 at 03:02 PM.
allyolds68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
freqmonkey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shreveport LA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyolds68 View Post
There was an early assembly manual change dated 9/25/67 that went from two bolts to three. Your car must have gotten one of each

I do know it's an early build car based off the sequence number in the VIN but I haven't fully researched it all yet. That makes sense though, thank you so much for the information.
freqmonkey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 07:57 PM   #4
Randy C.
 
rcorrigan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,309
You can check the trim tag on your driver side cowl (just under the hood) to determine the build date of your car. There should be something like a two digit number, followed by a letter. The first two digits tell the month and the letter gives the week of that month. For instance, if the time build code on your trim tag said 09C, the build date of your car would be September (09), the third week of that month (C), 1967 (the '68 production year started in mid-August 1967).

Randy C.
rcorrigan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
freqmonkey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shreveport LA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
You can check the trim tag on your driver side cowl (just under the hood) to determine the build date of your car. There should be something like a two digit number, followed by a letter. The first two digits tell the month and the letter gives the week of that month. For instance, if the time build code on your trim tag said 09C, the build date of your car would be September (09), the third week of that month (C), 1967 (the '68 production year started in mid-August 1967).

Randy C.

I wish I could decode it but unfortunately the original trim tag has been pried off the cowl for some reason and I didn't get it with the car. It sure would answer a lot of questions though. Other than approximating using the sequence number, is there another way to possibly determine a build date range?


Brian
freqmonkey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Randy C.
 
rcorrigan5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 2,309
I would say that, if you posted your sequence #, you might get some input here on where about your number might lie date-wise.

Randy C.
rcorrigan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 09:11 PM   #7
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
freqmonkey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shreveport LA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorrigan5 View Post
I would say that, if you posted your sequence #, you might get some input here on where about your number might lie date-wise.

Randy C.
That's a good idea, thank you.


My sequence number is
102613, built in Fremont. If anyone happens to have a close number and know the build date of their car, I would definitely be interested in knowing about when mine was built.


I don't remember right off hand what the cast date of my motor is but I do know it doesn't necessarily always correlate. However mine might be early enough that it does.....
freqmonkey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Registered User
 
JohnnyBs68S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ft. Wayne, IN
Posts: 221
Quote:
For instance, if the time build code on your trim tag said 09C, the build date of your car would be September (09), the third week of that month (C), 1967 (the '68 production year started in mid-August 1967).
Quote:
There was an early assembly manual change dated 9/25/67 that went from two bolts to three.
My '68 has only two bolts between the hinge and hood. I haven't checked the trim-tag, but does this fact imply my car was a very early build (in the first ~5 weeks)? My car doesn't have shoulder belts, so I know it was built before 1/1/68.
JohnnyBs68S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 10:36 AM   #9
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 3,835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S View Post
My '68 has only two bolts between the hinge and hood. I haven't checked the trim-tag, but does this fact imply my car was a very early build (in the first ~5 weeks)? My car doesn't have shoulder belts, so I know it was built before 1/1/68.

Like Lansing, BOP plants followed the assembly manual. I've heard that it took a little longer to make changes at the BOP plants but don't really have any hard evidence or timeline as to how much longer that was.

For reference, the 7028253 carb for the 68 442 4 speed was added by assembly manual revision dated 4/29/68. The first known casting date for a 7028253 carb is 6/1/68 so it's doubtful that they started using this carb until early June of 1968
allyolds68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
freqmonkey1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Shreveport LA
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBs68S View Post
My '68 has only two bolts between the hinge and hood. I haven't checked the trim-tag, but does this fact imply my car was a very early build (in the first ~5 weeks)? My car doesn't have shoulder belts, so I know it was built before 1/1/68.
Quote:
Originally Posted by allyolds68 View Post
Like Lansing, BOP plants followed the assembly manual. I've heard that it took a little longer to make changes at the BOP plants but don't really have any hard evidence or timeline as to how much longer that was.

For reference, the 7028253 carb for the 68 442 4 speed was added by assembly manual revision dated 4/29/68. The first known casting date for a 7028253 carb is 6/1/68 so it's doubtful that they started using this carb until early June of 1968

I don't have shoulder belts either, and for what it's worth since I don't have my trim tag, I DO have the original motor and the block was cast Sep 28, 1967. So.....mine was built between presumably Oct 1ish to Dec 31 1967....a little more evidence of a possible delay in following production changes?
freqmonkey1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with 69 Cutlass Fender / Hood Hinge Question? olds70supreme General Discussion 1 June 2nd, 2017 11:45 AM
Replacing hood hinge on 68 442 - whats best way to match positioning with old hinge shamusj Body work 2 April 2nd, 2017 01:31 PM
Near new hood springs and hood hinge 69-72 cutlass RetroRanger Parts For Sale 7 February 6th, 2016 04:33 PM
Billet Hood Hinge Question 1970Olds442 Body work 4 January 29th, 2016 10:48 AM
whats different about a 1970 cutlass ram air hood and a 1971? shaks 442 clone Chassis/Body/Frame 6 August 4th, 2007 10:56 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:22 PM.


All content Copyright 2017 by Internet Brands, Inc. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.