Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Door skins

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2017, 03:18 PM

Door skins

Anybody tried aftermarket door skins??
70 Cutlass supreme.
Old May 19th, 2017, 07:59 PM

Use the search at the top, a member here Coppercutlass put one on his car, it worked out very nice for him i believe.
Its in his thread "the revamp"
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:39 PM

Russell, I will be listing NOS GM door skins for sale. Pick-up only in Chicagoland area.
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
The tops of some of the repros are cardbaord, the origination are metal. OMHO re covering originals will fit better. The repos I tried wouldn't lay flat around the door lock button
I believe he's asking about the sheet metal door skins, not the interior door panels.
Old May 20th, 2017, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Coppercutlass has towards the end of this threads first page.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...art-2-a-2.html
Old May 20th, 2017, 07:19 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Yes i did the after market skins. There are a few areas. They are not make or break to be honest. I addressed 1 issue. 1 i let go because even my O.E. doors fit like they did in the same area before i skinned them . I could have welded up the edge a little bit to make it more square but i decided not to.

Area #1 which i let be. The gap is a little inconsistent and opens up a little bit part way down.

Area #2 which i did fix. was pretty obvious why i did that.

Overall im very happy. I could have gone all out and made the back of the doors a little better but to be honest its just gonna be a really nice looking drag car and im taking full advantage of the fact GM didnt build em perfect.

One other thing i did which helped me really dial the skins in was i didnt tack weld them to the door frame until i had my gaps good. You can shift them around a bit as long as you dont use a panel bond and let it sit over night. I opted to do the skins dry with no panel bond just like GM did in the 70's. Modern cars i usually skin the door use panel bond between the frame and skin fold it over and put it on the car right away so if i have to shift it i can do that before the 3 hr work window of the panel adhesive. The other trick is to find a good pin point spot to start folding the skin.

Last edited by coppercutlass; May 20th, 2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Are the door (skins) the same size for a post body style vs a non-post body style?
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Hi, I installed 2 door panels on my ralleye 350 about 2 years ago and was happy with the results,same 2 issues as the previous post but easily delt with.
Old February 8th, 2018, 07:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by gesacion
Are the door (skins) the same size for a post body style vs a non-post body style?
Year? Model? Body style?

The short answer is that within a given year and model, the doors are the same size, but the skins are not exactly the same. The Sport Coupe skins obviously are notched to clear the window frames, and for the 1969-72 cars the Sport Coupes have vent windows, the Holiday Coupes do not. This also makes the skins different.
Old February 8th, 2018, 01:24 PM

Door skins

Thanks. I have a 1970 442 sport coupe. I was hoping the door size was the same, but with the differences you stated.
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Year? Model? Body style?

The short answer is that within a given year and model, the doors are the same size, but the skins are not exactly the same. The Sport Coupe skins obviously are notched to clear the window frames, and for the 1969-72 cars the Sport Coupes have vent windows, the Holiday Coupes do not. This also makes the skins different.