Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Floor pan repair

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2017, 06:15 PM

Floor pan repair

Replacing the carpet as long as the seats are out and what do I find, more rust on the floor pan than I hoped for, less than I expected. Figured I throw some sheet metal and seam sealer over the holes for now until I get to the body. I acquired a complete one-piece floor pan with the car but that would be a major endeavor, correct? I would have to take the body off, correct? I would think patching the floor would work for a few years until I'm ready to replace floor-pan, quarters , fenders etc. in a coupe of years. Thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cutlass rear floor.jpg (149.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg
cutlass front floor.jpg (150.4 KB, 13 views)
Old February 10th, 2017, 09:22 PM

If the floor braces are fully intact you may be able to get by for a while with patches. If they are as rusty as I suspect based on the pics, it may not be real safe in a collision scenario as the seats and seat belt anchors may be compromised.
Old February 15th, 2017, 08:16 PM

The braces are pretty good, just the floor pans are bad. I will probably bring it to a restoration body shop anyway to get their opinion. From the initial pictures I sent them they suspect it would be simpler to replace partial pans instead of the giant complete floor pan i have. Said if it was a concourse restoration then fine but if its going to be a driver then don't waste time/money on the whole floor board replacement
Old February 16th, 2017, 06:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

I assume this is an A-body. Definitely get the thicker front pans sold by Autobody Specialties. These are about 50% thicker than the other Chinesium floors (nearly stock thickness) and have a MUCH crisper stamping of all the features and beads. Well worth the extra cost.
Old February 16th, 2017, 07:30 AM

I think I would piece in the replacement pan you have, remove as much of the old as possible.Treat with rust reformer. Seal bottom of replacement pieces before installing, and seal from topside after install. If you decide to rivet, do it 1 inch apart.
Old February 16th, 2017, 07:52 AM

thanks, I'll see what the body shop says. What to enjoy car sooner than later but prefer it done correctly.