Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

71 Post Coupe Door and Window Stainless

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:02 AM

71 Post Coupe Door and Window Stainless

All,

I was looking for the stainless/chrome window and door frame trim for my post coupe and because I have never seen them before;
  1. Are these trim pieces clip on?
  2. Does anyone know where I can find them?
  3. Is there any interchange (Chevelle, GTO, etc)?
Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:12 PM

The pieces that go around the quarter glass are relatively easy to remove....upper curved piece is held on with some screws from the backside and the B-pillar vertical piece clips or is also held on with screws (need to double check but in any case those TWO pieces are simple to remove/install.

The 3 door pieces are another story....the factory just slipped them over the door/window frame and hammered them on (sort of like the drip rail stainless moldings are held on). Getting them off can be a challenge. You can sometimes remove the forward-most piece from the door frame with your hands if it's loose enough. I've never tried removing the horizontally oriented top piece or the door pillar piece that way or even tried with a block of wood/hammer to try to catch an edge and tap them off as some will suggest. That method may work but I've never tried it.

BE CAREFUL - these ARE NOT stainless or chrome.....they are ALUMINUM and EASY TO BEND and DISTORT when removing if you get too aggressive. Distort them much and you will likely never be able to get them smooth/back to their original shape again.

These pieces were bright-dip anodized which you can have done (not cheap) or you can strip and polish them to whatever level of shine you want.

Not sure if you're aware of it but there are also some optional aluminum moldings that could be ordered - B85 was likely the option code (not 100% sure if that's the code they used for the optional lower moldings on Post Coupes). These pieces ran along the bottom edge of the door glass and quarter glass and the outer window sweeper "fuzzies" were attached to them when you got this option. Probably extremely hard to find as many folks ordering post coupes were doing so to "save a buck" so ordering these extra cost items probably didn't fit the bill for most owners.

As far as interchange....I would bet all 3 door glass frame pieces are the same as any Chevelle, Tempest or Skylark version as well as the quarter glass post piece. The upper, curved quarter glass piece is unique to the Cutlass IMO.

'69 - 72 should all be the same pieces.

Start with a "Parts Wanted" ad here.....someone may have a set for sale. Don't see them advertised very often on this site (or other sites) as I imagine many were messed up when folks tried to remove the door pieces so be careful when looking at pics......get some assurance that the door pieces aren't twisted, etc.

Last edited by 70Post; August 3rd, 2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old August 9th, 2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old August 9th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70Post
As far as interchange....I would bet all 3 door glass frame pieces are the same as any Chevelle, Tempest or Skylark version as well as the quarter glass post piece. The upper, curved quarter glass piece is unique to the Cutlass IMO.
That is correct. The Olds quarter window shape is unique to Olds.
Old September 17th, 2016, 10:49 AM

The trim that you are looking for is the B90 option for a Sports Coupe (2 dr sedan) and includes the B85 like reveal. The B85 reveal is for a Holiday Coupe. Since a Sports Coupe was rare to begin with, having this option may be even rarer. I have a '71 Cutlass 'S' Sports Coupe with the B90 option and have been trying to find the sweeps. So far, no luck. I do have a new set of sweeps (all 8 pieces) for a sedan without the reveal.
Old September 17th, 2016, 03:51 PM

B85 molding

I have a set of the B85 molding listed on ebay...the rubber inserts are available from Fusicks and maybe other vendors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112133950000...84.m1555.l2649
Old September 17th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Dang Chris, I had it all a while back. but have sold it
Old September 17th, 2016, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by scott_442
I have a set of the B85 molding listed on ebay...the rubber inserts are available from Fusicks and maybe other vendors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112133950000...84.m1555.l2649
Are these for hardtop or post?