Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Remove windshield

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2016, 06:22 AM

Remove windshield

Do I remove the windshield on my 1962 Starfire convert before painting or not chance it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20160701_102326.jpg (1.39 MB, 26 views)
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:14 AM

Obviously you live in Australia so you can let it just fall out.
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:14 AM

if you are sure the area under the windscreen is fine, that the front of the dash does not need to be resprayed etc I would leave it in place, is the seal, adhesive etc in good shape? any leaks? I was just talking to someone who mentioned that the new adhesives don't interact well with BC/CC? so that is a consideration, on the other hand Taking out the windscreen isn't a big deal yes you need to be careful and patient, also there really is no other way to paint the forward part of the dashboard properly, my 2 cents.
Old July 12th, 2016, 07:18 AM

Generally you remove it with a piece of piano wire (etc.) to cut the sealer but you risk chipping the edge somewhere and that can start a crack. OTOH, here in the desert I have had back glass in particular ready to fall out because the sealer is dead.

Sorry, I forgot about the gasket. I sold my 62 SF in 1973. . .

Last edited by Run to Rund; July 12th, 2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

The 1962 full size cars use a rubber gasket. Removing the windshield and reinstalling takes some practice to avoid breaking it. Definitely get a new gasket if you go that way. Just cut the old (and likely hard) gasket to remove. Steele Rubber sells new gaskets.

This illustrated article is geared towards the Tri-Five Chevies, but the basic installation process is the same for any windshield gasket.
Old July 12th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1. If you've gotten so far as to suspend the car upside-down from the ceiling...

The earlier windshields are not as hard to remove as the later ones because they are not glued in, and the earlier gaskets are visible, and are usually deteriorated and crappy-looking after half a century, so you'll really want the gasket gone, anyway.

Slice the bejeezus out of the old gasket, and then press or tap the windshield out as gently as possible. A bit of heat may help to soften the remainder of the gasket to get it started, but, of course, don't overheat and crack the glass. Leaving the car in the hot sun is a good way to heat it up, and a heat gun, judiciously applied is not bad.
After that, you will have a good look at the frame, and be able to see whether it needs any work.

It is a muscular-but-gentle process for two guys to slowly pop the windshield and gasket back into place when all is said and done, usually with the help of some rope and a couple of plastic spatulas, but, in my opinion, far less dicey than gluing in a more modern windshield.

- Eric
Old July 12th, 2016, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by TripDeuces
Obviously you live in Australia so you can let it just fall out.
LMAO, weirdo....good one