Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Your opinion: go trim delete, or waste away trying to find missing pieces?

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2016, 04:19 PM

Your opinion: go trim delete, or waste away trying to find missing pieces?

As most of you know it's REALLY difficult to find trim for specific full-sized Oldsmobiles. I found one wheel well trim piece on eBay for $175, but that's about it.

This car needs the rocker moulding for the drivers side, and the wheel well trim for the passenger rear. What trim is remaining has been "installed" by some idiot who thought it was a great idea to screw the trim to the car.. no joke.. *cringe*

So, the opinion I ask of you; I've got a very limited budget for this car, but I'm tired of looking at the inconsistency. If you were me, would you just sell the remaining trim and have a body guy make it trim delete for now, and maybe in the future install the proper trim if I'm able to find it?.. or.. would you build on what's here for now, and hope you could find the rest eventually? I like the look of the trim, but if that's another grand if you can find it, might make more sense to go delete.

Thanks for your thoughts, comments, musings, and opinions, friends.

-Jake

Old April 28th, 2016, 04:34 PM
Administrator

I'd keep looking for the wheel lip moldings.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:42 PM

Love the paint color, and the trim just makes it pop. I would keep looking.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:44 PM

I think I'm with you guys on that.. certainly looks better with the trim.. one other issue you can't see is that since they screwed the trim to the car, there are holes in the remaining trim.. so...
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Senior Moment Member

Great color. Great looking car, I would try to find the trim. Really like your car.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:53 PM
Olds Fever

IMO, trim is the way to go... It enhances the body color... Post (or repost if you have already in the past) here on the site for the pieces you need... You never know when members here may have items you might need, whether it's just excess parts or vehicles they are parting out... Inventories change over time as projects are completed... Stick with the trim, in the end, I doubt you will regret it...
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:54 PM

Looks like the ayes have it! Thus begins my long journey of finding each piece. Ah well.. it's why we get into these cars, right?

And thanks, guys! I'm proud of her. I agree on the color.. I think it's the original Antique Pewter, right? Can anyone confirm that? It's on the cowl tag, and obviously had a repaint at some point. I think this is correct.
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
IMO, trim is the way to go... It enhances the body color... Post (or repost if you have already in the past) here on the site for the pieces you need... You never know when members here may have items you might need, whether it's just excess parts or vehicles they are parting out... Inventories change over time as projects are completed... Stick with the trim, in the end, I doubt you will regret it...
I'm with you, Cruzn. I have posted in the wanted forum, will probably do it again in the near future. A member does have a rear bumper for it, and we've been in touch, but I don't have the money for it just yet. Things should pick up this summer, so I'll probably snag that bumper if he still has it, then continue posting for the trim.

Thanks for the insight!
Old April 28th, 2016, 04:59 PM
Olds Fever

Originally Posted by Jake Mack
Looks like the ayes have it! Thus begins my long journey of finding each piece. Ah well.. it's why we get into these cars, right?
You can always start your search at the OCA Nationals this year... The swap meet is a parts heaven...
Old April 28th, 2016, 05:04 PM

You can always start your search at the OCA Nationals this year... The swap meet is a parts heaven...
Man! That looks like a blast! I'd love to see a ton of Oldsmobiles all in one place. That Burlington, WI show is pretty close, as is the Quad Cities show.. strange none are in Illinois. Thanks for the heads up!
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Looks like a 67 to me. I agree that the car looks better with trim but it might be a long and hard search. If originality isn't seriously important, consider the option of bright adhesive moldings. I know that might not be a popular choice, but if you have limited budget, it might fit the bill.
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Looks like a 67 to me. I agree that the car looks better with trim but it might be a long and hard search. If originality isn't seriously important, consider the option of bright adhesive moldings. I know that might not be a popular choice, but if you have limited budget, it might fit the bill.
Yessir, '67.. and that's actually what my grandfather and father suggested. Maybe recondition the existing trim, search for missing trim, and go with adhesive while I'm doing that? Probably not a bad idea, actually. Thanks for your input, Allan!
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:20 PM
344879M363895

I would like to add: If you have a wife or girlfriend who isn't exactly thrilled that you are putting money into this project...possibly go without the trim or do what Allan says. Some things aren't worth the headache and you wouldn't have posted about going without trim if you yourself didn't consider it an option.

The only wrong way to do these cars, in my opinion, is to do non-original things to the car that can't be undone. Anything else can be changed eventually.
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:28 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 70-442-W30
I would like to add: If you have a wife or girlfriend who isn't exactly thrilled that you are putting money into this project....
or you could find one who is?? JK I know that economically speaking there needs to be more $ going into the household and family than project cars. Over time I can't help but notice the huge amount of $ and time these projects we end up 'investing' in. Investing is a bad word, but you know what I mean.

Sad that the B body reproduction market isn't that developed as the A bodies. But I understand it because the production was skewed more to A body.
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:36 PM

Well, in that case, good thing I'm not married! Bam!

I kid..

But yes, I agree. Some things take priority.. being a career musician, I can't even tell you the money that goes into toys for that. They call it "gear acquisition syndrome," or GAS. Maybe a similar affliction as classic car restoring?
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:00 PM
344879M363895

Well, issue avoided then.

I would just watch though. When you finally get all the trim pieces then what else will you look for next? And then when you finally get this car perfect then what car will you buy next? And then next thing you know you are selling guitars to buy cars and you're living in a van down by the river. Sorry, Chris Farley was speaking to me again!
Old April 28th, 2016, 07:13 PM

Well, issue avoided then.

And then next thing you know you are selling guitars to buy cars and you're living in a van down by the river. Sorry, Chris Farley was speaking to me again!
haha! Everyone needs some Matt Foley in his/her life. And, it's true! I don't play this Strat much, and I do need that rear bumper.. hm.....
Old April 29th, 2016, 06:14 AM

There is a '67 or '68 Delmont in a yard that I go on occasion. I can't remember if any of the trim is there but the next time I go, which maybe a few weeks or months, I'll try to remember to see what's there & grab it.
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:02 AM
btw
Smokin' BBQ Member

I'm just going to mess it up here and say trim delete. Because I can, it's Friday and I've got a trim delete 88.

Either way, the car is awesome!
Old April 29th, 2016, 07:21 AM
Hookers under Hood

I would go with trim delete myself, that car has cool body lines just as it is. My 76 also has trim delete and yes its Friday as BTW says haha.
Either way, your car looks great .

Eric
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM

What a great looking car. If the molding was just a skinny bumper-guard type molding, I'd say skip it - but that fat brushed rocker molding really does look nice and accents your paint job IMO. I know your pain, I spent four years finding similar trim for a '65 cadillac I used to have.

Is this one of the pieces you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLDING-Rock...tUC3eY&vxp=mtr
Old April 29th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Olds Fever

Man! That looks like a blast! I'd love to see a ton of Oldsmobiles all in one place. That Burlington, WI show is pretty close, as is the Quad Cities show.. strange none are in Illinois. Thanks for the heads up!
OCA National meet was in Springfield at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in 2013...
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dan K
If the molding was just a skinny bumper-guard type molding, I'd say skip it - but that fat brushed rocker molding really does look nice and accents your paint job IMO.

Is this one of the pieces you are looking for?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOLDING-Rock...tUC3eY&vxp=mtr
That's it! But I think I need the driver's side.. I wonder if it's similar? Probably not. And I think I'm with you on going with trim.. though it seems all the devil's advocates just came out in a group here It's pricey, but might be worth it in the end.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:08 AM

OCA National meet was in Springfield at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in 2013...
Crap! BARELY missed it.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:41 AM
Administrator

That's it! But I think I need the driver's side.. I wonder if it's similar? Probably not. And I think I'm with you on going with trim.. though it seems all the devil's advocates just came out in a group here It's pricey, but might be worth it in the end.
Your pic shows passenger side.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Your pic shows passenger side.
The passenger side is missing the wheel well lip moulding in rear, drivers side is missing the rocker moulding. Not sure if some of the trim was stolen or what? Kinda bizarre.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM
Administrator

My bad, could not open link on phone, thought it was for a wheel lip molding. That is rather pricy now that I'm on my laptop.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
My bad, could not open link on phone, thought it was for a wheel lip molding. That is rather pricy now that I'm on my laptop.
Right? I'm not sure if that's the book on it, or people just guess based on how rare they are. lol
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:08 AM

I'm for keeping the trim, can the holes the other guy used to mount the trim be welded up and polished to look original? On your car is the rocker panel trim die cast or stainless steel and chrome plated? The trim is out there some where and you will find it eventually.
Steve
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:15 AM

I was trying to think of how to patch the holes, and didn't even think of welding. I'm sure that would fix it.. just smooth them down, re-paint the black stripe, and boom.. nice-looking piece of trim. And I think it's die cast. Is that the proper term for the satin finish version? I'll get more pics up in a few.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:40 AM
344879M363895

One thing I was wondering is: you said you had a limited budget, actually a "very" limited budget...so what else does the car need besides this cosmetic issue? Anything mechanical?
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:44 AM

As far as I know, the rest of it is cosmetic. I recently re-sealed the intake/block since I was getting a leak there, and the other day I sorted out the brakes as it had bad hoses on both sides up front. So now, the car handles ok for an old car (I don't believe any suspension parts are worn), it runs great, it doesn't leak anymore, and it stops well. All told, parts have only cost me about $40-$50 so far, and it's already much better than it was when I got it. I'd like to eventually convert the front to discs, but everything else seems solid, and I'd probably leave it just as it sits.. just the cosmetic stuff that needs attention, at this point.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:55 AM
344879M363895

As far as I know, the rest of it is cosmetic. I recently re-sealed the intake/block since I was getting a leak there, and the other day I sorted out the brakes as it had bad hoses on both sides up front. So now, the car handles ok for an old car (I don't believe any suspension parts are worn), it runs great, it doesn't leak anymore, and it stops well. All told, parts have only cost me about $40-$50 so far, and it's already much better than it was when I got it. I'd like to eventually convert the front to discs, but everything else seems solid, and I'd probably leave it just as it sits.. just the cosmetic stuff that needs attention, at this point.
Well then I think you have your answer. Even if it does take a guitar sale or two. Most musicians I know are perfectionists, and if you are also then you won't be happy without the trim you mentioned. I'd go for it.
Old April 30th, 2016, 11:56 AM

Well then I think you have your answer. Even if it does take a guitar sale or two. Most musicians I know are perfectionists, and if you are also then you won't be happy without the trim you mentioned. I'd go for it.
You know me well, then! All right. I'm decided. Thank you!
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:30 PM
Senior Moment Member

Saw a show called Americarna. Don't get me started on the host. Anyway, they had Joe Bonamassa on who was looking for a nice Mopar to give to his folks for giving up so much for him forming his career. He said, "Guitars and cars are about the same. Which guitar do you like the best? The one I just bought! How many cars do you need? All of them!" He said the subject is interchangeable. I couldn't agree more.
Old April 30th, 2016, 10:34 PM
Senior Moment Member

Gol Dang I miss that dog in the vid. He was one in a million.
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Saw a show called Americarna. Don't get me started on the host. Anyway, they had Joe Bonamassa on who was looking for a nice Mopar to give to his folks for giving up so much for him forming his career. He said, "Guitars and cars are about the same. Which guitar do you like the best? The one I just bought! How many cars do you need? All of them!" He said the subject is interchangeable. I couldn't agree more.
Joe's right! Very much the same, just that cars are generally* more expensive. And, also, you can't drive a guitar.
Old May 3rd, 2016, 11:45 AM

67 delta trim

i think it was about a year ago someone posted here looking for wheel opening moldings for 67 delta(could have been you) i gave them info of a yard in connecticut that was parting one out,they called and were told all moldings were gone off the car. i went to the yard a month later and there were a couple usable wheel opening moldings still on the car so i don't know why they said they were gone.i haven't been back in a while and it's an hour + ride. they advertise on craigslist: leveille's salvage somers,ct 860-749-3705 might be worth calling and being a little persistent,idk
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:33 AM

Just ran across this. Maybe a replacement to cover the holes while you look for original trim. http://www.flexchrome.com/products/extruded.htm