Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

73-77 Cutlass S roofrail weatherstrip change

Old March 31st, 2016, 09:18 AM

73-77 Cutlass S roofrail weatherstrip change

And at last we swap roofrail weatherstips. These are by far the easiest ones to change. Thats just one way to do it, which works.
Be warned: My seals which seems to be made by Metro, had way different profile than old ones did. I had big problems trying to get them seal my glass, but at last i managed to get them. At another topic someone i cant remember just now, told its pretty common and based on just on luck how did they succeed making new seals, no matter who made them.

My weapons of choice. 4 different fibreglass chisels and wire-cutters. I used wire-cutters to remove plastic holders at both ends, and fibreglass chisels to remove old seal. It comes off in pieces. Make sure you get all pieces of old seal out under the rails where you install new seal. Thats the most important single thing on whole swap, otherwise you end up with problems when installing new seal. Spend time there. It takes some, and its boring. Then clean the whole rail-line from debris, and use some sort of cleaner to clean the whole rails surface to ensure good attachement of glue.

About glue: I wont say what you need to use, since it seems to be endless debate what is good and what is not. Just look for these things:
UV-resistant, weather resistant, wide temperature range, and remains elastic. Dont believe blindly what they say about where the glue fits, test it first to some small Place of seal to see does it react with the material and start to melt it. You dont want it to melt your seal.

You can start front or back, no matter. I preferred to start from front. Glue the seal some way forward, i glued always 10 inches, assembled glued part of seal, and then put new 10 inches of glue forward of seal. That way you wont mess your whole car with glue. I used fibreglass chisel to push the seal under rail. Make sure the tool you use to do this aint too sharp or it will rip your new seal apart by doing like i did.
Now just work your way all the way through new seal, and at the end use some glue and pull those plastic holders at Place.
Use some extra-glue on in front and rear corners, where seal starts and stops to follow roof-line to ensure good attachment.

Congrats, its installed. You can again congratulate you with beer.
Just be warned, depending how much you congratulate you after every seal install, and how many seals you are going to assemble, you may end up pretty sober.

Last edited by Inline; March 31st, 2016 at 09:21 AM.