Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

What to do about my VIN

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:08 PM

What to do about my VIN

I posted some pictures in another thread of the dash and cowl rust on my car. I talked to DVAP today and they normall cut and sell the entire cowl and metal part of the dash - they cut if from the factory welds. I have no problem with the idea of swapping this out, other than what to do with the VIN. I have heard moving VINS is a federal offense - are there exceptions for this type of swap? I live in MA and was wondering if anyone had experience with swapping the entire metal section of their dash, and what they did about the VIN.

Thanks
JD
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:09 PM

Removing and replacing the VIN tag for a legitimate repair should be fine. I would just do it.
Changing or manipulating what the tag reads is the illegal part, as well as moving the tags to and from different vehicles.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:13 PM

Dang good question.
I would lean towards replacing as little metal as possible, and that is one of the reasons.

Then again, you'd have a seam right there visible if you just replace the rusted metal.

In the grand scheme of things, no one should care if the VIN tag is removed and put back properly, but lawmakers often have very different views of such shenanigans, due to the actions of the few who ruin it by stealing stuff.
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:25 PM
72 Olds CS

Mass registry has precious little about the VIN other than for salvage title vehicles.

http://www.massrmv.com/

you can try emailing them i have had reasonable response w that method , but i will tell you to only include info that willnot indentify yourself or your vehicle unless you want additional work / monies / time gone from your accounts.

I suspect they would treat it as a salvage and make you get it reinspected.

IMHO I would just transfer the VIN to the new section if thats the easiect way to do it ! assuming you have all paperwork to show that VIN goes to your car in addition if your doing a frame off it wouldnt hurt to document the VIN on the frame !

this may help as well

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener.../SearchResults

where abouts in mass ? im 30min north of worcester

Last edited by RetroRanger; January 23rd, 2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:21 AM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I will try emailing or calling the registry before doing anything. My friend who is doing the welding thinks he can salvage most of the cowl and dash, and doesn't see the need to replace the entire thing, but I want it done once and done right. As for my location, I am in Hopedale MA, which is off of 495 by Milford/Franklin/Bellingham

JD
Old January 24th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Some ideas:

Over here the VIN that's stamped into the frame rail is the one that really counts. Transferring the one under the windscreen is not big issue, amost all inspections and police checks are based on the frame VIN.

No matter which location it is:

If you need to transfer the frame VIN because of an accident or rust, you can have a garage sign & stamp a sheet of corporate paper that the transfer from the old to the new part/VIN carrier was made without typos and other errors. This is absolutely legal for authorities here.

Last edited by Nop; January 24th, 2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old January 24th, 2014, 06:08 AM

The problem with trying to repair the metal dash section is that metal is very thin,so trying to weld patches to it,and keep it smooth & contoured,is a bit if a challenge.The best way is to remove the entire section,by drilling all of the spotwelds,and fitting a rust-free section in there.
My yellow W30 was so rusty,you had to look at the bottom of the VIN plate,to read the numbers.I don't think yours is THAT bad.
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Removing and replacing the VIN tag for a legitimate repair should be fine.
Not just "should be fine", it IS fine under 18 U.S.C. § 511 : US Code - Section 511: Altering or removing motor vehicle identification numbers.

Here's an excerpt of the law with the exception:

(b)
(1) Subsection (a) of this section does not apply to a removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration by a person specified in paragraph (2) of this subsection (unless such person knows that the vehicle or part involved is stolen).
(2) The persons referred to in paragraph (1) of this subsection are—
(B) a person who repairs such vehicle or part, if the removal, obliteration, tampering, or alteration is reasonably necessary for the repair;
(C) a person who restores or replaces an identification number for such vehicle or part in accordance with applicable State law;
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Nop
Some ideas:

Over here the VIN that's stamped into the frame rail is the one that really counts. Transferring the one under the windscreen is not big issue, amost all inspections and police checks are based on the frame VIN.

No matter which location it is:

If you need to transfer the frame VIN because of an accident or rust, you can have a garage sign & stamp a sheet of corporate paper that the transfer from the old to the new part/VIN carrier was made without typos and other errors. This is absolutely legal for authorities here.
Two problems. First, on GM cars of this vintage, the stamp on the frame is a nine-character VIN-derivative, not the full 13 character VIN. Second, it is much more common to swap a rusted frame than to remove and replace the VIN tag. The tag is the only FULL VIN on the vehicle for these cars.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Nop
2-stroke 1-cylinder guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
the stamp on the frame is a nine-character VIN-derivative, not the full 13 character VIN.
Didn't even find mine yet to see if it's a full or derivative - any directions on where to look?

*I* will have to get the full VIN stamped into my front right frame rail or onto a riveted mfg.-plate for registration, as legislation requires it since the 60s/70s in Germany, that's what was on my mind typing.

Back to topic:

My thought was that a printed, signed and stamped sheet of paper would be beneficial in any case - (re-)registration, inspections, getting pulled over - even if you do the actual job yourself.

It's also common with motor cycles/scooters here with VIN (only) on the frame that's beyond repair: Get a donor frame, transfer VIN to donor, have it seen & signed, destroy the old frame with an anlge grinder. Also more common than replacing all other parts of a machine.
Old January 24th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Nop
Didn't even find mine yet to see if it's a full or derivative - any directions on where to look?
Yes, have a look at this thread from 2blu442. Vin number stamped in the frame
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:31 PM

Brian - Thanks for the response.. Have you ever done this before and if so did you do the top of the cowl as well? I sure wish you lived closer...