Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Vibratory tumblers

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM

Vibratory tumblers

Anyone ever use those tumblers from eastwood or hr.Freight. I was thinking about getting one to see if I can speed things up.
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM

x2
Old October 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM

I almost got one to do nuts and bolts and such, but then I would loose track of what bolts held on what.
If I did get one, I would pay the extra and get the bigger model, which would do more at once. Also it would do all the smaller stuff the sand blaster could not do.

If you plan on restoring more than one car, then it would be a good tool investment.

I would also like to hear comments from someone who used one.
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
They are great.Bought mine from Harbor Freight.If you do decide to purchase one ,Medias like Walnut Shell and Corn Cob can be purchased at stores like Pets Mart for 1/10 of what most media companies ask.I found soaking the nuts and bolts in Acetone for a day or so will cut the tumbling time in half.
Old October 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM

they do work well...

Luckily My Friend has a couple of these things, I send my bolts over and he actually used stuff that was much more abrasive, I believe it was aluminum oxide, but he uses a variety of grits depending on what he is doing, he tumbles his brass for reloads.. He then used the black oxide plating kit, and I must say the bolts looked great!!!
Old October 27th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Olds Dreamer

I use mine every day on pretty much everything.

i know eastwood has the same one that harbor freight does for the same price. but they are better at getting u replacement parts and u get a better warrenty through them. they have the bigger one also.
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:36 AM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

I've used the Eastwood tumbler many times. The size depends upon how large of parts you will want to tumble. The 5lb. size will tumble parts up to 7" long, and the 18lb. size will tumble parts up to 10." Make sure you get a supply of the various media, so that you have what you need to give you the finish you are looking for. Also, I would recommend you get the Metal Wash, so that you can clean the parts before you put them in the tumbler. I've never used their Speed Clean additive, but they claim it reduces tumbling time by 50%. In addition, if you have bolts or parts where you want to have the correct black oxide finish, I would recommend you get their Metal Blackening Kit. I used this, and it worked well.
Old December 11th, 2011, 01:51 PM

I bought a small one from HF and it self destructed in 3 days...well 3 days 24 hrs adays straight...very disappointed, so i got online and searched CL and i got a surplus tumbler from a computer building firm,they used it to clean computer chips, that they got from a hospital labratory they used to clean equipment with...its incredible if ya get it right...mine is so heavy i move it with a 2 wheel dolley..but it is incredible...

Heres a secret....vinegar....the action of the vibration and the acid in the vinegar is incredible...just plain old white vinegar...waaay cheaper than any metal wash or what ever ya want to call it...