Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

U-Jamb Seal Fit Issues

Search this Thread

Old January 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM

U-Jamb Seal Fit Issues

I had full quarters installed on my 71 Cutlass convertible and am in the process of installing the interior. The sheet metal up at the top of the jamb where the U-Jamb weatherstripping mounts does not have crisp edges as the factory did.. The distance from the U shapped cutout in the metal to the inner lip is considerably smaller than factory. So small in fact that I can't get the U-Jamb weatherstripping to fit. Would have been great if I had figured this out before paint but now I am at the point where I need to tweak the rubber. Bought Metro brand. Would SoffSeal or Steele be any better? Anyone crossed this bridge?
Old January 3rd, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by dsolomon
I had full quarters installed on my 71 Cutlass convertible and am in the process of installing the interior. The sheet metal up at the top of the jamb where the U-Jamb weatherstripping mounts does not have crisp edges as the factory did.. The distance from the U shapped cutout in the metal to the inner lip is considerably smaller than factory. So small in fact that I can't get the U-Jamb weatherstripping to fit. Would have been great if I had figured this out before paint but now I am at the point where I need to tweak the rubber. Bought Metro brand. Would SoffSeal or Steele be any better? Anyone crossed this bridge?
I replaced mine about 3 years ago now. IIRC I bought from Fusicks. Don't know who their supplier is. Only thing I had to do was open up the mounting screw holes a bit, but it went in fine. I didn't take the car apart though. Maybe the trick is to put it together and install these last.

I will be keeping this thread in mind though. When I take my car apart to do the PW I will be changing all the fuzzies, putting in new glass and replacing the 1/4 glass seals. Hopefully you will have this issue resolved by then

I looked at Metro

and this looks identical to the parts I put into my Cutlass S.
Take a look at Supercars Unlimited or Steele Rubber. They might have something you can work with better
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:30 AM

I had to modify my U-seals even to mount on a factory car. Had to cut rubber in places and open the screw holes. The right side quarter is a bit different then the left - not sure how, but more mods were needed on that side. Door latches differently there, too...
Old January 4th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Don't know if this will help you, these are the replacements I put in years ago. Sorry, nothing's been cleaned from all the work done in the fall. I didn't have to modify anything - they just screwed in. The metal insert in the seal did make it just a little hard to screw in though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2031.jpg (55.1 KB, 20 views)
IMG_2030.jpg (51.7 KB, 15 views)
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
same but different

I used Softseal products on mine about ten yrs ago. The drivers rear qtr. had been replaced at some point in its life, but I didn't have any trouble with mine.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM

Allen, yours look different than the ones I have. It appears that the rubber wedge at the top is thinner and softer. The rubber on mine is very hard and the metal inserts make it difficult to manipulate. What brand were they?

Trimming to get these to work on my setup would probably mean exposing those steel inserts. That concerns me.

Here are photos of my quarters and the rubber I have now. As you can see there is nothing in the way of sheet metal on the inside. On the one quarter the screw hole isn't even on the primary surface.

BTW... Just so you know I'm not nuts, the brown windlace is just for the fit test. Its not my color plan
Attached Images
P1040077.JPG (100.5 KB, 13 views)
P1040080.JPG (92.5 KB, 11 views)
P1040081.JPG (101.9 KB, 11 views)
P1040082.JPG (97.5 KB, 11 views)
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Allen, yours look different than the ones I have. It appears that the rubber wedge at the top is thinner and softer. The rubber on mine is very hard and the metal inserts make it difficult to manipulate. What brand were they?
Look again, they're identical. Probably just looks different because it's mounted. The rubber wedge is the same too. The rubber on mine is firm; metal inserts are there on purpose. They shouldn't be that hard to manipulate. If you're having trouble sliding them into place, dip them in soapy water and they should slip in with minimal effort. Don't really want to, but if necessary I can take off the rubbers and take a pic for you.

Trimming to get these to work on my setup would probably mean exposing those steel inserts. That concerns me.
They shouldn't need trimming at all. I would be concerned if I had to cut mine too.

Here are photos of my quarters and the rubber I have now. As you can see there is nothing in the way of sheet metal on the inside. On the one quarter the screw hole isn't even on the primary surface.
That's exactly how mine looked to when I took the inner trim off. The sheet metal can be flimsy like you say, but that's why the rubber seal has steel inserts to stiffen everything up. I know you're just doing mock ups right now to see how it fits.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:47 PM

Dont pull yours off Allen. I think I am going to order the soffseal brand to see if they are any different.
Old January 4th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'll watch your thread to see what happens. Wish I could tell you what the brand was - it's been too long since I put it in. Truth be told I didn't care about the brand as long as it fit. Once installed I promptly forgot it.

Take a look at Steele Rubber Products and Supercars Unlimited. They both have really good quality parts that they claim will fit perfectly. Fusicks has them for 23.50/set. They are the same part for all 72 Olds 2dr A bodies.
Old January 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM

I had to cut into the metal on one of mine. They were from brothers, so that prolly explains it...
Old January 4th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
I had to cut into the metal on one of mine. They were from brothers, so that prolly explains it...
I thought you learned not to buy from them... or was this part of that order?