Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

trunk floor

Search this Thread

Old January 19th, 2014, 06:41 AM

trunk floor

Guys:
I just finished the new floors and braces on my 66 Cutlass resto, now I am ready to move to the trunk area. I need input from a few guys who have been there before, Should I replace w/ a 1 pc unit that has all the parts pre assembled or go w/ the 7 pc kit you weld together. I will be putting on new quarters I bought from CO member 2blu442 earlier this year so the back end will be all open. I like the look of the 1 pc unit and the fact there is less welding or is the separate pcs the way to go, the inner wheel houses are in pretty good shape and require almost no work where the tie into the trunk floor.
Thanks Ron
Old January 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM

Having spent countless hours doing my trunk floor in 'Pieces', (because they came with the car) I wholeheartedly recommend using the 1 piece unit. I know they are more expensive and the shipping is higher, but will save you A LOT of time fitting, fitting, fitting, welding, grinding, filling, sanding, etc., etc., etc....................... trying to get all the seams looking like no seams
Old January 19th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Justin

I used the 7 p. and I found it to be okay it really depends on skills that you have, I had to patch the wheel wells so I found it easier this way to separate the jobs to smaller areas. can you do the 1p with out pulling body from frame ?
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Old(s) Fart

The one-piece trunk floor is definitely the better way to go, but I don't know if you can get it in without pulling the body from the frame, as I don't think it fits in through the trunk opening.
Old January 19th, 2014, 09:51 AM

He does say he's replacing the quarters so he'll have a large opening to work with.

Henry
Old January 19th, 2014, 11:15 AM

trunk floor

Guys:
I am doing a major body off resto on the car, the rolling chassis is completely finished and looks almost as good as new. The rear section I bought from 2blu442 has really clean wheel houses and quarters as well, so most of the back half will be gone eventually. It would be nice if one of the shops would offer the 1pc in kit form w/ 1 pc floor sheetmetal and give you the chance to assemble the rest of the braces and tank brackets seperate, it would be alot easier to put in that way I think, that way most of the welding would be hidden by the gas tank and give a really clean look from the trunk area. I will have to give it more thought, but I am leaning towards the 1 pc unit, I have seen prices and people selling it vary alot. Has anyone dealt w/ this issue before as far as quality, price is always a consideration, but I have no problem popping for a better part or company to deal with.Thanks for all the input so far.
Thanks Ron