Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

repairing small holes

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2011, 04:22 PM

repairing small holes

Any suggestions in repairing these small holes that came thru when I stripped the door. Is the best way to mig in a piece or use bondo

I may have caused this when I used the grinder with a 60 disk but they broke thru easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rust.jpg (62.1 KB, 66 views)
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:32 PM
car guy

First of all NEVER use a high speed grinder on sheet metal. You will make a mess of it very quick.

You need to cut out that area and weld in new metal. Do not just bondo over it. Moister will get to the back side and it will bubble later.
Old August 5th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
First of all NEVER use a high speed grinder on sheet metal. You will make a mess of it very quick.

You need to cut out that area and weld in new metal. Do not just bondo over it. Moister will get to the back side and it will bubble later.

Thanks...this is a set of extra doors I picked up so hopefully I did not do too much damage.

I am replacing the stock mirror with a set of sport mirrors of a 71. Should I weld in a section large enough to get rid of the factory holes ?
Old August 5th, 2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by CLcutlass
Thanks...this is a set of extra doors I picked up so hopefully I did not do too much damage.

I am replacing the stock mirror with a set of sport mirrors of a 71. Should I weld in a section large enough to get rid of the factory holes ?
Leave the factory holes as I think the sport mirror brackets will install in the same location. They didn't stamp different holes in the doors for different mirrors. Cut out the small bad areas and weld in new metal and carefully grind the welds, at a slower speed.

I hope you weren't using a 60 grit grinding disc on those doors to strip the paint? If you did, you probably just made a lot of work for yourself. From your photo, it looks like you may have also ground off some of the sharpness in the body lines. If you rounded off those edges, you're going to need to use a little bondo to build them back up as building with primer is not the way to go for this type of repair. And trying to restore the sharpness to those body lines and edges will take some doing to make them right. Don't ever use a grinder to strip a body panel. Grinders are used to roughen metal for applying bondo or to remove metal. Not to mention you can create a lot of heat, as you did in the one area. But not all heat in metal will show a discoloration. You can build up heat that will cause the panel to warp which will require a lot of work to correct.
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Originally Posted by 69442C
I hope you weren't using a 60 grit grinding disc on those doors to strip the paint? If you did, you probably just made a lot of work for yourself. From your photo, it looks like you may have also ground off some of the sharpness in the body lines. If you rounded off those edges, you're going to need to use a little bondo to build them back up as building with primer is not the way to go for this type of repair. And trying to restore the sharpness to those body lines and edges will take some doing to make them right. Don't ever use a grinder to strip a body panel. Grinders are used to roughen metal for applying bondo or to remove metal. Not to mention you can create a lot of heat, as you did in the one area. But not all heat in metal will show a discoloration. You can build up heat that will cause the panel to warp which will require a lot of work to correct.
Sorry, I beat you guys to it:
Originally Posted by MDchanic
SIXTY?!?
Wow. You're a brave man.
You'll be filling gouges for weeks.

Use a Scotchbrite-type stff rotating paint removal pad and you'll be much happier, and save the 60 grit for grinding diamondplate. I've made that mistake. I know.

- Eric
Old August 6th, 2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Leave the factory holes as I think the sport mirror brackets will install in the same location. They didn't stamp different holes in the doors for different mirrors. Cut out the small bad areas and weld in new metal and carefully grind the welds, at a slower speed.

Thanks...I stripped the second door with chemical stripper. It took about 5 applications but it worked well. I may have f$%^ the first door but I am considering that door my practice door . The door on the car now has a good skin but the bomms are rusted. Would you ever consider removing a skin.