Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Best Aftermarket Fender

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2020, 04:55 PM

Best Aftermarket Fender

I am sure this topic has been covered already but I couldn’t find it in any searches.

Who makes or sells the best after market front fenders for Cutlass’?
Old November 6th, 2020, 05:47 PM

Is there more than one stamping out there? They're probably all coming out of the same machine in SE Asia.

Note that lots of "NOS" ones that are left were made veeeeeery late, like well into the 80's. The dies were worn out and they made hilarious mistakes by then. I paid a premium for fenders with GM stickers on them, still had to do plenty of body work, and completely remove and re-weld one of the mounting brackets.

IOW, all of them are decent, nothing (not even "NOS") will be bolt-on-perfect.
Old November 7th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Your probably correct in that they all come from the same place and even die. I am debating getting new ones vs. buying the patch panels and paying the body guy the hours to replace. The math says it’s cheaper to buy but want to be sure they fit like the old ones.
Old November 8th, 2020, 02:21 PM

It's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Assuming the body guy is good, you'll likely have a nicer result with the patch panel. You keep the wheel opening, assuming it hasn't rotted, and just replace the lower skin. The repair is annoying because of the brace, but it's a straight forward job.
A replacement fender will require an unknown amount of body work time. You might come out a bit cheaper, might come out quite a lot more expensive, might have decent results, might have totally washed out body lines and wheel openings that ain't right. Main problem here is the final cost really depends on just how good you want it.
I harp on the wheel opening because that can be a big problem if you run the chrome trim.