Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

70 supreme halo top "correct" repo??

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2019, 09:40 PM

70 supreme halo top "correct" repo??

As with almost every repop I get they are never quite right. So I ordered a replacement halo top from legendary, and from my experience they are not very "legendary". I haven't laid it out on the car yet but there is one big problem that stands out. the piece of vinyl that goes between the lower back window and the trunk is just a cut strip of vinyl. I'm hoping that there is an expert or two here to explain how to deal with this problem. When taking that piece off the car the original actually had small metal tabs that were screwed into the sheetmetal to secure that piece and it made it have an appearance of a fold to match the two folds in the main top piece. I did keep those two metal strips, I never throw anything away unless it crumbles to dust. so do I need to use those two metal pieces and try to make the folds look like they should? Or is Legendary just producing a bad product? Is there anyone out there that makes the top in the proper original manner with folds, attachment screws etc? I am ready to call Legendary to RMA this asap because it isn't up to my expectations. Thanks for any help in advance.

Eric
Old April 1st, 2019, 10:09 PM

Old April 1st, 2019, 10:10 PM

Those are all of the attachment parts I removed, I will be replacing the plastic ones that are broken. the two metal strips for the rear window valance are in the lower right corner.
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:28 AM

SMS Upholstery is the way to go for vinyl tops .They have the original material
Alain
Old April 2nd, 2019, 05:58 AM

Eric, I know for my 71 98 there were 2 different vinyl tops installed. One by Oldsmobile, and one by the dealer. Perhaps there are also 2 different vinyl tops for the Cutlass in 1970. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on the Cutlii can say for sure.
Old April 28th, 2019, 08:06 AM

Thanks all, well I went with Legendary after all since it was the only one available within my time frame. It's in the shop now so I will let you all know how it goes and post a pic or two when it's done.