Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

'69 fender marker light and antenna holes

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2009, 06:31 PM

'69 fender marker light and antenna holes

Hi all,

New guy here, though I've had a '69 442 for 18 years. I saw the eBay auction for the NOS 68/69 passenger fender in this thread: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nder-ebay.html and noticed it has no marker light or antenna holes. I imagine this is the way GM replacement fenders came, but I pulled a fender off of a '69 Cutlass Supreme back in the early nineties which appeared to have had these holes cut out with a torch. Would that likely have been a dealer-bought part at one time? The whole car was in primer and I didn't really check to see if it was original to the car. I paid about 1/100th of the opening bid for the eBay fender. Thanks for any info, and for providing a great board here!

On the H/O mentioned in that same thread, aren't those '71 taillights?

-Jon
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Jonb442
Hi all,

New guy here, though I've had a '69 442 for 18 years. I saw the eBay auction for the NOS 68/69 passenger fender in this thread: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...nder-ebay.html and noticed it has no marker light or antenna holes. I imagine this is the way GM replacement fenders came, but I pulled a fender off of a '69 Cutlass Supreme back in the early nineties which appeared to have had these holes cut out with a torch. Would that likely have been a dealer-bought part at one time? The whole car was in primer and I didn't really check to see if it was original to the car. I paid about 1/100th of the opening bid for the eBay fender. Thanks for any info, and for providing a great board here!

On the H/O mentioned in that same thread, aren't those '71 taillights?

-Jon
Nope. Look again. They are 72 taillights with the silver parts painted black.
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM

Yes, I see. That's an H/O thing right? It does look funny with no trumpets and about an extra foot of tailpipe on each side. Anyway, would a fender other than NOS have no marker light or antenna hole? I've never heard of any aftermarket pieces and the one I pulled seems to be OEM other than the torchwork.

-Jon
Old February 12th, 2009, 10:35 PM

On second thought, I guess the antenna hole wouldn't necessarily be there anyway.
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM

Smile NOS fenders

I have a pair of NOS fenders and neither one has holes for the marker lights...If you have a rear mount antenna you don't want a hole in the front fender...
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Thanks Yellowstatue. Yes, I agree you don't want a hole there unless you have a front antenna. Why you wouldn't want a marker light is still a mystery. Looks like NOS fenders are the best place to put your money in this economy!

-Jon
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:15 PM

The side marker lights did not start until 1968 and they were on US cars only. It could be that GM punched out the holes for US assembly line cars but sold the replacement fenders without them as it would be easier to cut them out than to fill them in if you did not have a US car.

Also, these fenders are made up a year or so in advance of production and no one really knew if the lights would be mandantory or not, so I am sure they did not go back and correct the dies until they were sure the laws were not going to change back.

I remember at the time a lot of people griped about the added cost but no one was upset about the added saftey.