replacing vinyl roof on a 73 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2014, 05:01 PM

replacing vinyl roof on a 73 Cutlass

My recently acquired 73 Cutlass Supreme has the original vinyl top still in place..it's in ok shape (a 10 footer)..The top is a very dark brown and is blotched in many areas..303 application tended to make the color more uniform but still mottled...the car has been garaged most of it's life and there is no rust bubbling at all and with the exception of a small hole as part of a 2" crack on the top and some other cracking (barely visible) it's in decent shape....Talked to the guys at the auto upholstery shop that do lots of older GM stuff (lots of low riders in San Diego) and they said $450 to replace the vinyl top. I hate to remove the top when 99% of it is solid and good and original...I "303'd" it a couple of times and it really looks decent...all except for the one place where the crack is visible and has the hole in it (down to the under fabric). Thinking I might find some sort of adhesive that will seal the hole, try and color it with a paint or dye marker and just leave it for a while...it's garaged and only a weekender and not run through the car wash, etc..What have others paid for a vinyl top replacement? and am I just being an "**** old man"? I also have cracks in the window seal weatherstrip and the upholstery guy said as long as it does not leak air or water don't replace it as the new stuff is way too hard...he said they can "surface" the existing cracks so they are not visible...which sounds like a deal if they can do it...thinking they will use some black latex material..anyone tried that?

Thanks
opos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
o20.JPG (34.9 KB, 28 views)
o40.JPG (59.1 KB, 25 views)
o9.JPG (53.7 KB, 29 views)
o41.JPG (37.3 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by opos; April 12th, 2014 at 05:03 PM.