'70 Olds OAI Hood Pin Scuff Plates

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 10:15 PM

'70 Olds OAI Hood Pin Scuff Plates

Hello,
Can anyone tell me which direction the slot(s) in the scuff plates (under hood locks) face? From standing in front of car view. (Both left, both right) etc.....My car came with a aftermarket hood ( no complaints ) but I want to replace both scuff plates. They currently both point towards the left from the view point listed above.
Also, I noticed allot of different "clocking" positions of the hood locks themselves. They should be at 12:00 position when latched (locked) or ?
Thanks in Advance !
DRXOLDS
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:14 AM

I don't remember my scuff plates I'll take look but I believe the slot points in on each side. The hood pins should face up and down or as you say 12 and 6 when locked. when you unlock them they face 3 and 9.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
I don't remember my scuff plates I'll take look but I believe the slot points in on each side. The hood pins should face up and down or as you say 12 and 6 when locked. when you unlock them they face 3 and 9.
I'm interested in this as well Steve. Let us know when you get a chance.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:35 AM

Are we talking about the scuff plates between the pin and hood or the guide plate that screws to the bottom side? I would bet the scuff plates were just stuck in with no concern what direction it was pointed. I would think it would be the same for the guide plates but can only go forward or back.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 08:41 AM
NôôB

Funny story about those plates.... I bought repop ones and the whole time i had my car i NEVER realized they were sticky on the bottom, until a couple weeks ago lol. Like others have said i dont think there was a "reg" on how they went on as workers just threw these things together and probably dont care about what direction the scuff plates were because you dont really see them
Old April 5th, 2014, 06:58 PM

took a look at both my cars. The convertible scuff plates face inward (3 and 9 o'clock) like a remembered. The hardtop has one facing the headlight ( 7 o'clock) and the drivers side is outward towards the fender (3 o'clock). I'm sure like others have said they went on what ever way they went on.
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:31 PM

'70 OAI Scuff Plates Clocking

Originally Posted by stevengerard
took a look at both my cars. The convertible scuff plates face inward (3 and 9 o'clock) like a remembered. The hardtop has one facing the headlight ( 7 o'clock) and the drivers side is outward towards the fender (3 o'clock). I'm sure like others have said they went on what ever way they went on.
Appreciate you taking a look at both. I believe you have OEM hoods on both (jealous ) of your cars. But again I don't know what aftermarket hood is on my car, but I am very pleased with it (installed 27 years +/- ago) not a crack in it and the lines to the fender gaps are within a 1/32". Slight ducktail at the back of the hood (by windshield) but noticed by me only (until now).
So I think it's like you said it depended what day that week and time.
It really does not affect the function, just curious. The hole is big enough to put them any where....and once the (roll) pin is in the lock stem, they are not coming out anyway. But with that slot (in the scuff plate) it allows you to install with the roll pin flush on one side and extended on the opposite (half assembled) side thru the scuff plate. So I am going with the 3 and 9 o'clock.
Thanks again for taking a look at both of yours!
DRXOLDS 40 Minutes west of O'Hare.

Last edited by DRXOLDS; April 5th, 2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Corrected information on install of scuff plate.
Old April 5th, 2014, 08:16 PM

Just an FYI that glue they used even on my re-pop hood from 27 +/- years ago for the scuff plates...sticks really well. I used current 3M adhesive remover and still was like a gorrilla grip. Don't know your paint, mine is old but good. When I applied the 3M I made sure I had a water soaked clean rag to get any overage off ASAP. I let it soak a few minutes then pulled very hard (scary hard) to get the old scuff plate off.
It actually bent in the process...so 3M and water to protect the pocket (paint) where it sits worked on the 1st one.....tonight the second one....hope for the same results.
Just to be safe, I would try some of the 3M stuff to loosen the glue "as they say (for all products) in a place...... not noticable".
Good luck!
DRXOLDS
Old April 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM

yes OEM hoods, I can almost guarantee the hardtop hood has never been touched but can't say that about the convertible.
Old April 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks very much for your help. Last nite the operation (removal of scuff plate #2 was a success). To all that has viewed and help with this THANKS !. Just as any chemical always have a wet (dripping) clean towel to protect paint. I have used thinnner etc. to get the best results on certain removal, cleaning of items....but get it off with water ASAP is a must.
Thanks again! If I had 2 oem hoods (5K each), and 2 Aluminum Carriers (5K each) ....I could almost buy another car ! As we all know!
DRXOLDS