Emblem Studs Broken Off

Old November 6th, 2013, 06:40 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Emblem Studs Broken Off

When my car was in paint and they went to take off the trunk emblems, they saw that they had been glued on, and the studs were all missing. I would like to use these original emblems and see if there is a way that I can recreate studs and attach them to the emblems so they wouldn't break off. Any thoughts? I know I could attach the emblems to the trunk with 3M adhesive tape, but that would be a last option.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Emblem 1.jpg (68.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by jdana24; November 7th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:46 PM
72 Olds CS

Id be intersted in that answer as well the 3m tape would be ok on the S emblem but not so good on the cutlass emblam
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Randy C.

Hi Jeff,
If you are OK with reproductions, Fusick has them. The trunk emblem is p/n SE43T for the trunk lid and they show a price of $29.50 in a catalog that's about 2 years old. They also have the trunk "S" emblem, p/n SE34T, shown at $26.50. The catalog says the fasteners are included for both.
I know from my past experience that those studs seem to break off quite easily, even if you try to be careful when removing the fastener.
With the pot metal, I don't know if there is a way to recreate the studs or not. I'm thinking that, if there is, it would probably cost more than using the reproductions.

Randy C.
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I would used some 3m panel bond or jb weld and grind a tapered screw to fit in the areas the stud was in then used a speed nut. I have done this in the past with different emblems or trim pieces that have broken on removal or broken previously. You can get creative in what you use for stud as speed nuts need almost nothing to screw on to ., you will also have to get creative in how you grind and position your new studs. You could use the 3m tape too but what I would do is fill the voids with jb weld to have a smooth back surface and on the script I would use the thin 1/8 th tape or 1/4 and on the script you can use that too or 1/2 in. The script will take carefull trimming. I work for lexus and customers never wna to buy emblems when we do repairs since most are out of pocket pay so I have to retape 98 percent of all emblems removed .

Last edited by coppercutlass; November 6th, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old November 6th, 2013, 07:26 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Hi Randy,
I've thought about getting replacements from Fusick, but would like to see if I can find a fix for the originals.

Thanks for the suggestion coppercutless. I'm a little leery of using JB Weld as it tends to get brittle and crack. I saw this post on another site and have thought about going this route, except that in looking at the picture, I'm not sure if I could still use an original style speed nut:

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=205159
Old April 28th, 2014, 12:58 PM

So how do you remove 442 emblems without breaking the studs

I have a new set of numerals for my trunk, but I have no idea how to remove the old ones. How do you remove them?