83 H/O window felt question..

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2010, 08:19 AM

83 H/O window felt question..

Trying to order replacement window felts for my 83 H/O. I need both sides. The sellers specify either with or without "reveal molding"...my dumb question for the day is which is correct for the H/O? Also am I correct in assuming the rubber and the felt (fuzzy) strip come together as one piece? Here is an example of what I am considering ordering. Sorry for the long link..thanks as always for your patience and any advice.

Steve

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/83-Ol...Q5fAccessories
Old September 8th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I believe the reveal molding is a wide piece of polished trim that goes on the top of the door, partially covering the felt strip. Should be evident if yours has or had it.
If in doubt, post a pic of your outer felt while on the car.
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM

Here are a couple pics taken today of the passenger window trim. As you can see, the weatherstripping on this side is in sad shape.
Thanks for the advice and help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
window 1.jpg (80.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg
window 2.jpg (48.5 KB, 30 views)
Old September 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM

There are two types. With or without wide chrome. There is a lengthy post on ROP regarding this matter. I was confused myself for the longest time about what the correct part number is. GM discontinued that part. I was at Fusicks a couple of months ago and i think he had one or two left for the same price as the repops. I would def call Fusick. I can probably get the part number tomorrow. I have two original GMs in the package in the garage. If you want the number just let me know.
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM

Looks like NO belt reveal moulding to me...
Yes, they DO need to be replaced! The outers are pretty easy.
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Pete, that would be great, thanks!
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM

Spent some time searching on ROP for this topic, but couldnt find it. I am guessing I need to find "no reveal molding" inner and outer trims for both sides, 4 pieces in all. Will search for Fusicks tomorrow (I did mention I am new to this, didnt I?).

Got the blower motor changed today, 1 small step of progress...of course the AC compressor will not kick on but defrost will work now...
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM

Blowers are easy on those cars - right on top!
The freon charge may be too low for the compressor to engage. Short the pressure switch and see if it engages (key in run) - it is on the hard line near the blower motor. Mine is in this state right now.
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:39 AM

Righthand is 20674278

Lefthand is 20674279

For sure GM is out of stock. I literally got the last one from them. I got the other from Fusicks. Hopefully they will have more.

Its called an (outer) belt molding. For those that have the other type, you can find the part numbers here.

http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic....ow+chrome+bead
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Thanks again for the advice and suggestions. GM does still have one of the parts in stock, but not the other. Fusicks has the outers listed but I didnt see the inners. Since I need all 4 parts (and am on somewhat of a budget) I am taking a chance on this aftermarket set, all 4 for $139...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=230519326213
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Just keep in mind that there is no chrome on those.
Also, make sure you can return it easily if it will not fit right.

How bad are the inner ones? Often the outers will be the broken ones while the inners will be fine. (That was how my 72's were).
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

You may be able to just use Monte carlo sweeps for the inner.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Heh, the inner ones are just as bad. Brittle and cracked all to pieces, you touch them and they break. I spoke to the vendor, they *seem* to have a good return policy.
Oddly enough, I have been watching the internet lists and trade papers for a parts car...they used to be everywhere around here but none since I picked my G-body up...
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Wow, got the parts in one day after ordering. The quality and fit are very good. Of course no chrome stripe on the outers, as Rob noted, but the flat black blends in well and I am happy with them. Had to unbolt the motor and window stop to lower the glass and get to all the fasteners, no problem, but I wish I had known that before I replaced the motor on the driver side the other day

Now comes the question I bet several old timers are anticipating... How the heck do I attach the inners? The old ones were stapled in place through the sheet metal upper door panel. Easy enough to unbend and remove the staples to get the old ones off...but I am not sure what route to take to install the new ones? My staple gun won't fire through the metal, and I dont think it would be possible to line up to the existing holes. I thought about using some very small self tapping screws but am worried the heads rubbing on the inside of the felt will cause it to develop holes/rips. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Steve
Old September 15th, 2010, 04:21 PM

Pop Rivets...Doooh! I knew I would think of something!
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by vagent
Now comes the question I bet several old timers are anticipating... How the heck do I attach the inners? The old ones were stapled in place through the sheet metal upper door panel. Easy enough to unbend and remove the staples to get the old ones off...but I am not sure what route to take to install the new ones?
If the set came with new staples (should have), this post may help:
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post162232
If the old ones did not break, they ~might~ be able to be reused.
Old September 17th, 2010, 04:58 PM

Did the driver's side, the pop rivets work well. Maybe not factory 100% correct, but for my purposes very satisfactory.
Old December 7th, 2010, 03:00 PM

found a NOS GM set

Picked up a new set of NOS GM ones today off Craigs list, since they were a decent price. The drivers sides are still in the bags and carry part numbers 20674277 and 20363107. Passenger sides out of the bag but new..cannot see any part numbers. These have the thin chrome bead. Since I no longer need them, I figured I would ****** them up to keep as spares or in case anybody needed some and was willing to swap.