Clear 67 Cutlass Tail Light Lenses ???

Old October 25th, 2009, 02:51 AM
...should get a life....

Clear 67 Cutlass Tail Light Lenses ???

Saw a picture of a very nice 67 Cutlass with clear lower tail light lenses. It was off a link to a post by "SCUBASTEVER" a little while back.
I was thinking it would be a good idea for me to find some, put orange globes behind them and get them set up as indicators. Same with the front lights, ie get them set up as stand-alone indicators.
We've had orange indicators since the 50s and I always worry when I've got someone on my tail and I'm slowing and turning in an American car. People are just not used to seeing a tail light flashing on and off.
Does anyone know where I can get a pair?
Old October 25th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Oldsdruid

Col, those are actually the reverse lights in 1967 F85 and Cutlass cars. Cutlass Supremes and 442 had red lower lenses and were taillights on those series cars. Their backup lamps were in the bumper close to the license plate area.

Yes, rear bumpers were different between F85/Cutlass and Cutlass Supreme/442. Just one of many idiosyncrasies of "styling" GM was famous for.

What you're thinking of would probably work, but I think you'd need to disable the brake light in the lower pod if it will be used as a turn signal. And since the brake and turn lamp filament shares a common feed wire, I don't know how that would work.
Old October 25th, 2009, 07:55 PM
...should get a life....

[quote=rocketraider;118492]Col, those are actually the reverse lights in 1967 F85 and Cutlass cars. Cutlass Supremes and 442 had red lower lenses and were taillights on those series cars. Their backup lamps were in the bumper close to the license plate area.

I know what you're saying, but the clear lenses I saw on the 67 Cutlass were actually the lower tail light and not the reversing lights. If I can find the thread with the link to the pic I'll show you what I mean.
Old November 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM

I think you could just change the red lower lenses as the housing appears to be the same and the lens screw pattern. I may have a set for sale.