Which car cover to use

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:08 AM

Question Which car cover to use

Hello all,
I own a 1973 Delta 88 convertible which I drive infrequently lately and I am looking to put a car cover on it to protect from bird droppings, tree sap, etc. The car will be kept outside due to not having a garage to store it in. Can anyone suggest a good brand or at least a kind to get for this application. I thought I remember something about being careful about having an non-breathable fabric because it traps moisture against the paint and discolors it, but beyond that I am looking for any suggestions, past experiences, etc. I have tried searching the archives but haven't found anything.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM

I just purchased a covercraft "Noah" custom fit...put it on today for the first time...supposed to be breathable and repel water...

Its raining right now and we are supposed to get some heavy showers and periods of heavy rain tomorrow...so we will see how it goes and will post how it stood up tomorrow night...
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:35 AM

And dont fall for that cheap stuff on Ebay etc...you dont get something for nothing...expect to spend a couple of hundred for custom fit good stuff...
Old July 8th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 442scotty
And dont fall for that cheap stuff on Ebay etc...you dont get something for nothing...expect to spend a couple of hundred for custom fit good stuff...
X2
Quality covering will take a quality cover, especially for outdoors. No poly, no nylon. Cotton is good, but won't last outdoors. $$ for a quality cover is the only way to go. (I don't have a recommendation for any particular one).

And on a related note, never tow a car in an open trailer with a cover on of *any* kind.
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:12 PM
same but different

I purchased one last fall from http://www.calcarcover.com/cover_find2.aspx This company was recommended on another forum for their oldsmobiles. I chose the "storm weave" style and I am happy with it. It was just under 300 bucks shipped but also got a cable and lock for security.
Old July 8th, 2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks for all of the input everyone. I think I will probably get the Cal Car Cover. I have heard good things about them and I always like to hear that someone has used it in the past and has had a good experience.
Old July 8th, 2009, 06:51 PM

My "Noah" cover passed the first test....heavy rain off and on...not a drop went through the material..also sold at California car covers...a little more than the storm weave
Old July 9th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 442scotty
........ not a drop went through the material ........
If that drop cannot get in, condensation/humidity cannot get out.

It is why "cotton" is recommended.

Norm