Ouch!

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Ouch!

So I brought my '72 Cutlass Supreme to the Endless Summer Cruise in Ocean City MD. She made the 3 hour trip with no issues.😀

The second night we were here I was coming back from a cruise on the strip and was pulling into my parking spot at our timeshare. Parking spots are tight and I thought I had the cement post cleared. I was watching the left front when I heard a gut-wrenching crunch😥. I looked out the passenger side and realized what had happened.

My first thought was I had taken the door handle off so even though I was upset about the damage, I was reieved to see my initial fear didn't come to pass.

Like a rider who gets back on their horse after they fall off, I too mounted my trusty steed for another run . I proceeded to the nearest ice cream parlor and while drowning my sorrows in a double scoop of vanilla and butter pecan, I was thinking about how I could repair the damage myself. Having only dabbled in body repair, the thought was somewhat intimidating. Then when I was about 30 licks into my yummy treat I remembered something that had completely slipped my mind....

I HAVE FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE!!!!😀😀😀

Thanks for the read,
Dave😀
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you make out.
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by 72455
I HAVE FULL COVERAGE INSURANCE
But you probably have a deductible, so you'll have to pay that at least. I don't know if this sort of damage falls under collision or comprehensive, but I'm guessing the former since the car hit something. Each of those (collision, comprehensive) usually has its own deductible, and many people usually choose a higher deductible on the comprehensive because the cost of the policy will be lower and the likelihood of non-collision damage (a tree falling on it, say) is smaller.
Old October 8th, 2018, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But you probably have a deductible, so you'll have to pay that at least. I don't know if this sort of damage falls under collision or comprehensive, but I'm guessing the former since the car hit something. Each of those (collision, comprehensive) usually has its own deductible, and many people usually choose a higher deductible on the comprehensive because the cost of the policy will be lower and the likelihood of non-collision damage (a tree falling on it, say) is smaller.
I do have a 500 dollar deductible for collision, but the shop I chose to repair the damage is a customer of the company I work for, so I may be able to pull some strings. And, since they are partnered with my insurance company, I have a lifetime guarantee on the repairs.
Old October 8th, 2018, 05:09 PM
71 cutlass convertible

There was an accident in OC that claimed 3 classic cars on coastal Highway and sent 6 people to the hospital. I don't know what cars were involved.
http://www.wboc.com/clip/14650183/si...summer-cruisin

Sorry for you car but could have been so much worse.
Old October 8th, 2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
There was an accident in OC that claimed 3 classic cars on coastal Highway and sent 6 people to the hospital. I don't know what cars were involved.
http://www.wboc.com/clip/14650183/si...summer-cruisin

Sorry for you car but could have been so much worse.
We saw the emergency vehicles that responded to that crash on our way to the grocery store Saturday.
And after seeing that video and that wrecked GTO I don't feel so bad...

Last edited by 72455; October 8th, 2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old October 11th, 2018, 05:40 PM

I did some research on the body shop that is going to do my repairs and they use a process called painless dent removal or PDR for short. Seems it eliminates the need for excessive body fill by using heated rods to repair the damage. With an 80 to 90 percent rate of the types of damage it can be used on, I feel pretty confident that it will work for my Cutlass 😀
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM

Ii tried the paintless dent trick with a 75 Cutlass. Every place I went to said the metal is too thick. I could have had the body work done for $3000 for the complete car. I sold the car.
Old October 11th, 2018, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 72455
I did some research on the body shop that is going to do my repairs and they use a process called painless dent removal
As I think you've figured out by now, while we hope it's painless, it's actually PAINTless dent repair. It only works if the paint hasn't been cracked or scratched or damaged in any way so that the car does not need to be repainted. I find it hard to believe that the dents in your car can be repaired this way because the paint has been scraped down to bare metal in some areas. PDR works for minor dents like hail damage, parking lot dings, and things like that.