68 olds 442 headlight filler panel - ClassicOldsmobile.com

Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Body & Paint
68 olds 442 headlight filler panel >

68 olds 442 headlight filler panel

68 olds 442 headlight filler panel

Old September 17th, 2018, 12:54 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
68 olds 442 headlight filler panel

Does anyone know the paint code for the 68 olds 442 headlight filler panels?
muscle car resto is offline  
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:11 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by muscle car resto View Post
Does anyone know the paint code for the 68 olds 442 headlight filler panels?
given your username I doubt you’re looking for rattle can but the generally accepted color match is Krylon Dull Aluminum. The newer mixture for it is part of the “metallics” line so I’m not sure how accurate it is now.
allyolds68 is offline  
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:18 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 4
Hey thanks if I have to i can always use it to get a color read on so it could still be a great help. Thanks again.
muscle car resto is offline  
Old September 24th, 2018, 10:53 AM
  #4  
Registered User
 
droldsmorland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Tax York
Posts: 2,860
When I reworked mine 30 years ago I used Krylon dull Chrome, not the bright, if memory serves. Probably doesn't exist now. Once they aged and weathered a bit they look factory. Dry spray it in several light coats. Cars been judged several times without incident regarding this color detail. If you find a good way of getting the black into the outer grill area where the 2 bolts are by the metal fill panel please share it.
Another choice is Argent Silver. Get paint from Eastwood.
droldsmorland is offline  
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:58 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 361
Originally Posted by droldsmorland View Post
When I reworked mine 30 years ago I used Krylon dull Chrome, not the bright, if memory serves. Probably doesn't exist now. Once they aged and weathered a bit they look factory. Dry spray it in several light coats. Cars been judged several times without incident regarding this color detail. If you find a good way of getting the black into the outer grill area where the 2 bolts are by the metal fill panel please share it.
Another choice is Argent Silver. Get paint from Eastwood.
When I refinished mine, I cut a template from chip board, initially at the largest point, and proceeded to trim it down until it fit snugly down inside. Once the template was correct, I removed it and sprayed that part of the panel Krylon semi-flat black. The I inserted the template and sprayed the panel with Krylon dull aluminum. I think their # for it is 1403. I used the template method for all the black areas of the panel, and they came out great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
front.jpg (79.7 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by 1968_Post; September 24th, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
1968_Post is offline  
Old September 24th, 2018, 12:29 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by 1968_Post View Post
When I refinished mine, I cut a template from chip board, initially at the largest point, and proceeded to trim it down until it fit snugly down inside. Once the template was correct, I removed it and sprayed that part of the panel Krylon semi-flat black. The I inserted the template and sprayed the panel with Krylon dull aluminum. I think their # for it is 1403. I used the template method for all the black areas of the panel, and they came out great.
i did the same but I used cardboard. I still have the templates somewhere
allyolds68 is offline  
Old January 16th, 2019, 02:03 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Painted the black first masking off the rest in tape. Then masked the black area and painted the metallic dull aluminum rutoleum brand.
Billyaxe is offline  
Old January 16th, 2019, 03:16 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
allyolds68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seneca Falls, NY
Posts: 4,157
Looks great! Nice to see it done right.
allyolds68 is offline  
Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
droldsmorland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Tax York
Posts: 2,860
Nice! Now the trick is to paint the black on the outside inserts. Fun Fun.
droldsmorland is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
70Post
Parts For Sale
2
January 11th, 2016 03:57 PM
bulldogs#10
Parts Wanted
11
August 27th, 2015 05:20 PM
pogo69
Parts Wanted
15
August 19th, 2014 11:48 AM
CLcutlass
Paint
21
March 3rd, 2013 08:14 PM
Tucsonbob
General Discussion
4
July 12th, 2011 09:28 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 68 olds 442 headlight filler panel


Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.