Annoying water spots!

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2018, 08:23 PM

Annoying water spots!

Hi guys!

So I moved to a new house a couple of months ago and my baby has to sleep outside. I usually cover it when I think it is going to rain but I got caught off-guard a few times. As a result, this happened:
noooooooo!!!!!!

First it really upsets me but more importantly I can’t get rid of it, I spent approximately 20 minutes rubbing it with a towel damped in soap but it’s still here.
So my question to you all week end warriors out there is:
How the F do I get rid of it?
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:25 AM

I use race glaze but other rubbing compounds work as well. Chances are a good coat of paste wax before would have made the job a lot easier to remove.... Tedd
Old July 10th, 2018, 07:30 AM
Administrator

Water spots are a bitch sometimes. No matter how much wax is on there they seem to eat right through it. You need to towel dry the car as soon as it gets wet or after being washed. There are also detail sprays you can use in combination of drying the car or after. When you have really bad water spots, a light vinegar will take them off with all your wax, then you need to rinse the car off, dry as described above and rewax.
Old July 10th, 2018, 08:33 PM

As mentioned above, water spots can be difficult to address. There is the mineral deposit it leaves behind (white chalk looking). As stated above, vinegar can remove it. I have had decent luck using clay bar + lubricant.

A more severe water spot could result in the clear coat being "etched". That takes a machine, proper pad & product to address.

When ever using soap on you paint, make sure it is car wash soap. Other soaps like dish soap will strip away your wax leaving the paint unprotected.

As for a product that is user friendly to remove imperfections, try Mothers Ultimate Wax System Step 1 Pure Polish. Its always better to use in combination with a machine, but the "by hand" method works too... Depending on the result and how picky you are, some follow with a finer polish. Then to complete the process, finish with a wax.
Old July 10th, 2018, 08:47 PM

Hi guys, thanks for the input, I was told on another forum to use compound what do you think? Should I use a polishing machine with it?
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:24 AM

Be extra careful using compound with a machine,especially around and edges as even with experience with use with a buffer,it's may easily burn through paint on sharp corners.
I would recommend the vinegar or mild polish ,then re-wax with a good brand of yellow Carnuba paste wax.
Then when washing give Rain X Car Wash a try,it will sheet the water off better and not
Tend to bead up leaving water spots, but still dry with a chamois or Microfiber towel. Larry
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:01 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Have you tried a clay bar to remove the spots? Much easier than compound and less damaging to paint.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Compound and clay bars are abrasives and over time will eat through the paints surface.
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Over time is the key word. Clay bar can be used very lightly and is less abrasive than compounds.
Old July 11th, 2018, 02:58 PM

Having never encountered water spots like those shown, are you sure they're water spots? Kinda look like clear delamination to me in pics, I hope I'm wrong.

Try a 1:1:1 solution of water (distilled if available), Isopropyl alcohol & white vinegar. Wet a cloth, let it sit on the spot for a minute & then gently wipe. If it's alkaline spotting it should wipe away.
Old July 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Easy way to find out. Lightly run a finger nail across the spot. See if it dips or is raised.
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:40 PM

Oh wow, so much help, thank you guys I appreciate it!
I have just tried that, I noticed these spots on Sunday around 6PM so I just tried for a bit but that's about it, for now I am gathering people's ideas and I'll try everything during the week end...
So for now I have
  • Compound + polishing
  • Vinegar + polish
  • Clay bar
  • Water + Isopropyl Alcohol + white vinegar
So many options, I won't have enough watermarks to try them all ahahah
I'm going to call a the guy who usually details my car and see what's his take on this
Old July 11th, 2018, 06:50 PM
W30

mine did the same thing....idk,,,,good luck
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by tiger85
So many options, I won't have enough watermarks to try them all ahahah
I'm going to call a the guy who usually details my car and see what's his take on this
I have looked a couple times and it does look like some kind of "delamination". I am wondering if its areas that had some of that "slop" that "detailers" wipe on to give a shine instead of polishing a car ? Your detailer might tell you.
Old July 11th, 2018, 11:54 PM

Don't abuse your baby. Move to a place with a garage. Don't do anything that diminishes the paint.
Old July 16th, 2018, 07:58 PM

So I tried polishing using a product called IGL Coatings ecoshine finish F3 as suggested by my detailer and it worked!!!!!
My paint is almost brand new so I'll just have it recoated to make sure it won't happen again!
Thanks everyone for your help!
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

So many new products out there that will do a great job. Good to hear your problem is in the past. Of course now we all want to see how the car turned out so please post a pic of your ride in all its glory!