65 Cutlass molding clips

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 12:42 PM

65 Cutlass molding clips

In preparation for painting the passenger door on my 65 Cutlass Holiday Coupe I removed the "Front Door Outer Panel Peak" (Body Service Manual speak) molding by gently hammering it towards the back. This worked fine, i.e. the molding is undamaged, but all clips got destroyed in the process.
According to the BSM, what I need is clips as per View C, which displays so-called bathtub type clips.
Anyone know a part number and where to source these? Do I need an installation tool?

Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

If you are talking about the plastic clips that go over the trim studs, they are made by Au-Ve-Co and just about every resto vendor and clip specialty vendor sells them. They come in a variety of sizes.

Old May 4th, 2018, 02:30 PM

Thanks Joe.
Unfortunately I don't know what the clips look like in their normal form since all I have are the destroyed ones. However, there are no trim studs, just holes.
The photo shows what I need according to the BSM. Are the clips you posted the photo of the right ones in this case?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bathtub clip.jpg (357.9 KB, 0 views)
Old May 4th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Bremer
Thanks Joe.
Unfortunately I don't know what the clips look like in their normal form since all I have are the destroyed ones. However, there are no trim studs, just holes.
The photo shows what I need according to the BSM. Are the clips you posted the photo of the right ones in this case?
I guess I need a photo of the holes. The factory would have used weld-on trim studs that look like little nails. The keyhole in the plastic clips I showed goes over the trim stud, and you snap the trim into place over them. There was usually a screw-on clip at the front and back ends of the trim that went through the door for positive retention. If you have holes, someone has done that.

Alternately, you can use these type of clips with nuts on the back. These snap into the trim first, and the studs go through holes in the sheet metal. Use seam sealer on each hole to prevent water intrusion.

Old May 4th, 2018, 03:02 PM

Thanks Joe. I'll see that I take some photos of what I'm working with and post.