Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

70-72 Cutlass Rear Quarter Panel Patches

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2018, 05:38 PM

Question 70-72 Cutlass Rear Quarter Panel Patches

Hey folks does anyone know anywhere to purchase rear quarter panel patches for a 70-72 cutlass? I have some small rust areas just behind the rear wheel wells. I've never seen anything but the entire quarters for sell on the 70-72s but they are very expensive. It'd be like a grand for two with shipping.

I'm wondering if there are other makes of old A-Bodys that have patch panels that would fit for these small spots behind the wheel wells. I suppose I can try and piece together something from scratch with 20ga sheet metal but would prefer to just cut out a piece from a patch panel or maybe one from another vehicle make that would work for this spot.
Old March 7th, 2018, 03:32 AM

Reproduction rear quarter skins are all I know of and they average around 250.00 each. With shipping for both Im guessing around 6-$650.00 maybe? The shipping cost hurts but what are you gonna do?
I have a left side if your interested PM me. Where are you located?
Old June 25th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Oldsmo-buick

70-72 qtr. patch panels....some on ebay for $49

Originally Posted by scrappie
Reproduction rear quarter skins are all I know of and they average around 250.00 each. With shipping for both Im guessing around 6-$650.00 maybe? The shipping cost hurts but what are you gonna do?
I have a left side if your interested PM me. Where are you located?
Old June 26th, 2018, 06:51 AM

Only the fender heel is made as a patch panel. For quarter it's the skin or whole thing depending on year and body.
That area isn't very complicated, so a good body shop can make a good patch if the damage stays below the body line.
The wheel opening stamping on the repop panels are generally terrible, but otherwise they're usable.
Old July 6th, 2018, 03:12 PM

To be honest try and find NOS rear qtrs. or from a donor. If you are doing it yourself you will save time and frustration by replacing what you need from the real thing. I did the repop on one side and was not satisfied fought it the whole way and now have to do the bodywork to make it fit the wheel trim. On the other side I had rust in the front section and back sections of the wheel wells. When I got in to it found I needed the wheel house also. Ended up cutting the whole side out and replacing with NOS and it all fit just like I knew what I was doing. Just finished the skim and blocking and wished I did the same on the other side.
Old July 7th, 2018, 05:53 AM
Old(s) Fart

Autobody Specialties USED to sell rear quarter patch panels for these cars, but I just checked their website and they no longer list them. I suspect these were just sections cut from the larger quarter panels that had been damaged - prices for these small patches were not significantly less than for their "full" quarter. About the only savings was in shipping costs. I guess no one bought them.