Go Back  ClassicOldsmobile.com > Repair & Restoration > Body & Paint
How do you adhere the quarter window gasket and chrome to the quarter window 72 conve >

How do you adhere the quarter window gasket and chrome to the quarter window 72 conve

How do you adhere the quarter window gasket and chrome to the quarter window 72 conve

Old September 9th, 2017, 04:47 PM

the driver side quarter window trim and gasket is loose on quarter window - I just redid the seals and it looks like some kinda two sided foam/putty sticky stuff was in there - 72 convertible - anyone know what that is? Or what I should use? - thanks Joe
Old September 9th, 2017, 08:10 PM

they originally came with what seemed like a mixture of jute and black sealant. I'd like to know the best way to do it as well. I am assuming some kind of silicone adhesive but not sure which one would be best.
Old September 9th, 2017, 09:05 PM

When I installed the ones on my car back in the early 90s I used strips of 3M 130C rubber self-fusing tape that we used at work for high voltage applications and it has held up very well over the years. I've read since that there is a proper tape that glass companies use for this type of work.
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:29 AM

Use the 3m weatherstrip adhesive.
Old September 10th, 2017, 06:40 AM
L69 Track Pack

Originally Posted by Fun71 View Post
When I installed the ones on my car back in the early 90s I used strips of 3M 130C rubber self-fusing tape that we used at work for high voltage applications and it has held up very well over the years. I've read since that there is a proper tape that glass companies use for this type of work.
^^This - visit your local glass shop and get some 'glass tape'. It is a rubber strip a couple inches wide and you cut it to length. It comes in several different thicknesses, you might start out with the thinest one. Cut a strip of it the length of the chrome piece and either lay it in the channel or wrap it around the glass. You can trim the excess with a razor knife after it dries. The chrome piece will be pretty stubborn when reinstalling it. When I did mine, the glass guy suggested using a light oil, like sewing machine oil on the rubber before attempting to put it back together - you will want to wear latex gloves - it's really messy.
Old September 10th, 2017, 02:28 PM

They used to (generically?) call that "Tough Pack" or "Tuff Pak", not sure if it is sold anymore. Glass guys I have discussed it with over the last few years all said they just urethane them on.
Old September 11th, 2017, 08:33 PM

Google door glass setting tape, it comes in several different sizes.
Old September 14th, 2017, 06:47 PM

J&J Auto Fabrics has it on their Site. Larry
Old September 14th, 2017, 07:31 PM

Old September 15th, 2017, 06:50 PM

I got mine from rubber the right way, through their ebay store. Works like a champ. There is a thread on CO about installing using some soapy water. Fantastic! Once the water evaporates it is almost as if the metal is welded to the glass. A 10' x 1.5 inch strip cost about $15 IIRC, and I've got about 7.5 feet left.