what type/brand of paint

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2017, 07:55 AM

what type/brand of paint

so, I'm thinking about painting my 72, with the original Pinehurst green. I have a friend who can spray the car. But I'm not sure what brand and type of paint I should get. Any suggestions?
Old July 31st, 2017, 03:55 PM

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/ind...arnoslider.htm

they have tons of factory color paint for thousands of models. They have most if not all the paint codes for my 1973 cutlass.
I have not yet tried any of their paint but I will be using it when the time comes. I'm no professional painter by any means though.
Old July 31st, 2017, 04:52 PM

PPG Deltron is what the body shop used to paint my 70 Cutlass
Old July 31st, 2017, 05:21 PM

Ely, I'm in the Bronx, I hear there is a paint supplier in Staten Island, I may have to take a ride out there
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:04 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Its hard to find certain formulas still being made due to VOC content in the older style toners. I had to use PPG omni for the copper poly [63] . It took 8 coats to get coverage. Its easier to get the old colors in waterbased but you need a controlled booth to spray that. I could have gotten my paint in the nexa aqua base for 550 a gallon but we opted to paint it in my friends garage. Tcp global online has many of the old formulas available. Many belive it to be rebranded dbu ppg which is great. Since they sell to hobbyist i think they can get away with selling a higher voc content vs. Actual supply stores that sell to shops. Some colors are harder to find than others. You could consider a modern oem formula close to your original color. Mine was hard to find.
Old July 31st, 2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by scottyr33
Ely, I'm in the Bronx, I hear there is a paint supplier in Staten Island, I may have to take a ride out there
S & I Auto Color and Body Supply, 896 Post Ave, Staten Island, NY 10302. He use to be in Brooklyn but he moved to Staten Island.
Old July 31st, 2017, 09:18 PM

The best paint to use, it the one that your friend is most familiar with, and knows how to put it on correctly. In the old days, when I used to paint, I could tell the differences between different companies lacquer paints, just in the way that they would spray out. I had my favorite brands, which I preferred to use whenever possible. today, everything about paint has changed, and I wouldn't even think about picking up a paint gun. I recently had the roof of one of my cars painted, and they used a catalyzed enamel, and sanded and buffed it out. It looks great, and it is a durable paint from what I can see. The painter was experienced, and knew exactly how to put it down evenly. The paint that was used was Glasurit brand from Germany. What matters most is the skill of the people doing the prep and paint. Even the best paint won't look good if applied by monkeys.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170116_113009.jpg (1.14 MB, 9 views)
roof painted 1.JPG (2.13 MB, 8 views)
roof painted 2.JPG (2.14 MB, 8 views)

Last edited by Junkman; July 31st, 2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:43 AM

yes Ely, that's the guy.... make take a ride out there this week
Old August 1st, 2017, 03:44 AM

I agree junkman, that paint looks awesome
Old August 1st, 2017, 10:53 AM
delete

Originally Posted by ELY442
PPG Deltron is what the body shop used to paint my 70 Cutlass
Who did your car? I have mine in now. I think the guy said he uses Deltron. I have to confirm with him.
Old August 1st, 2017, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by droptopron
Who did your car? I have mine in now. I think the guy said he uses Deltron. I have to confirm with him.
This is going back in 1992. I use to work in a auto body/mechanic shop in Brooklyn. A guy name Max painted my car. My car was the last car he painted before he opened up his own auto body shop in East Flatbush. Too bad he closed up. I would love to find him again.

Who's painting your car? Is he any good? I would like to get my convertible painted.
Old August 1st, 2017, 05:58 PM

Ely, that's a great recommendation, I love to hear people suggesting others like that. Max, where are you????
Old August 1st, 2017, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by scottyr33
Ely, that's a great recommendation, I love to hear people suggesting others like that. Max, where are you????
You dont have any auto body supply in the Bronx? There's 2 guys that I know in Brooklyn. Sam Ditchek and Midwood Auto Body Supply. You can google search both names.
Old August 6th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Best Paint.
This is a loaded question.
You first have to know what look you are after then pick the paint system.
I will give you an example custom hot rod House of Colors from tri- color to metal flake.
Paint that pops and never came on a muscle car base clear from European paint manufactures
BASF Glasurit
Sikkens
Mercedes paint before VOC reduction there clear was the first of the crystal clear clears.

80's repaint Acrylic enamel two part strait out of the gun or with color coat top coat.
DuPont or PPG,etc

You have Lacquer paint factory applied on Muscle cars This is for the purist

Water born for the environmentalist car enthusiast.

I have seen some real nice water born paint at the car shows.

How each paint performs will depend on the body man, prep man, painter.

You have painters that are loaders and others that are concerned about mill thickness. Type of booth and fan speed and climate settings.
Type of delivery system/gun type
Air pressure settings.
This is not a complete list!

Last edited by Bernhard; August 6th, 2017 at 07:28 AM.
Old August 6th, 2017, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Junkman
The best paint to use, it the one that your friend is most familiar with, and knows how to put it on correctly. In the old days, when I used to paint, I could tell the differences between different companies lacquer paints, just in the way that they would spray out. I had my favorite brands, which I preferred to use whenever possible. today, everything about paint has changed, and I wouldn't even think about picking up a paint gun. I recently had the roof of one of my cars painted, and they used a catalyzed enamel, and sanded and buffed it out. It looks great, and it is a durable paint from what I can see. The painter was experienced, and knew exactly how to put it down evenly. The paint that was used was Glasurit brand from Germany. What matters most is the skill of the people doing the prep and paint. Even the best paint won't look good if applied by monkeys.
BASF Glasurit is nice product
Old August 6th, 2017, 10:29 AM

Berhard, thanks for the info, I'm looking to just make my daily driver look better. I'm not looking to break the bank.
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:28 AM

Then any of the US paint manufactures will do a good job.
I always liked PPG primers,high solids,and top coats.
It is always recommended to stay with in a product line as they were engineered to work together
The three big US paint manufactures that I know of are
PPG
DuPont
Sherman Williams

Good Luck with your project
Old August 7th, 2017, 09:16 AM

dupont sold out and is now axalta.still same product just different name.they sold out to concentrate on their chemical business.
Old August 7th, 2017, 06:27 PM

I've had a few people tell me....PPG
Old August 7th, 2017, 08:09 PM

for me i like dupont/axalta over ppg.as someone mentioned leave it up to whoever is painting it.they will have a paint they prefer.