70 Cutlass S Front fender script: How do you change it?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2017, 08:06 AM

70 Cutlass S Front fender script: How do you change it?

Hi there! Greetings from Spain,

I´m a newbie in this forum but not in the classic car passion, as I have been owning and restoring classic cars for the past 10 years. One month ago I bought the jewel of my garage, a 70 Cutlass S. You can read the story of the car here: https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...k-hardtop.html

The car is in an exceptional condition for a car this age; it drives and runs great. Everything works, even the clock, except for a couple of small details I would like to solve to bring it back to its pristine condition.

One of them is a broken "Cutlass" fender script. I bought a new one but when I try to change it I see there is no access by the inside of the fender, as the inner fender prevents my hand to reach the nuts. Access by the rear edge of the fender opening the door seems very difficult and I can´t see access from the engine compartment, partly due to the tubes and valves of the A/C system.

I checked the body manual but I couldn´t find any help on this issue. Does someone know which is the best way to acess the script nuts by the fender interior?

Here you can see the broken script

Thank you in advance

Last edited by Sportcoupe; May 15th, 2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old May 15th, 2017, 11:40 AM

Pulling out the inner fender is the easiest way but you have to be careful sometimes. The 4 bolts around the wheel opening often are rusty and will rip out the plastic of the fender liner. You can get to them with oil from under the hood but is hard to get to them. Also with that being a 70, the nut clips have hex heads on the clip that you can put a wrench on to help from ripping out the plastic.
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:13 PM

The absolute best thing to do for emblems is to use barrel nuts.

That allows you to take the emblems off and on easily, without the hassle of the sheet metal nuts that the factory used.
Old May 17th, 2017, 04:37 PM

Thank you for your answers, guys, it´s not an easy job but now I know the path to take
Old May 18th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Oldsdruid

Put a couple layers of masking tape around the script to protect the paint, and get a SHARP stiff-bladed putty knife. Carefully put the knife-edge behind the script at the mounting studs. Then push or tap downward on it and shear off the original emblem studs.
Use barrel nuts to attach the new script.
Old May 19th, 2017, 04:48 PM

Thank you for your tip, rocketraider. Seems an easy way to solve the problem. I didn´t know about barrel nuts. I think they are like these:

There´s only one problem: They seem easy to find in USA, even on Ebay.com but in Spain, where I live, I haven´t been able to find them so far. I can buy them from Ebay but shipping costs are far higher than the barrel nuts pack... I´ll go on trying to find them locally or try removing the inner fender. If this proves to be too difficult I´ll order them from U.S.
Old May 19th, 2017, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sportcoupe
Thank you for your tip, rocketraider. Seems an easy way to solve the problem. I didn´t know about barrel nuts. I think they are like these:

There´s only one problem: They seem easy to find in USA, even on Ebay.com but in Spain, where I live, I haven´t been able to find them so far. I can buy them from Ebay but shipping costs are far higher than the barrel nuts pack... I´ll go on trying to find them locally or try removing the inner fender. If this proves to be too difficult I´ll order them from U.S.
But you will still have to remove the inner fender to get the broken one off.
Old May 21st, 2017, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
But you will still have to remove the inner fender to get the broken one off.
Well, that´s option #1... The other option is shearing off the original emblem studs as rocketrider has suggested... The only drawback is that the studs will be allways there, maybe rattling inside the fender... I think that´s what you are pointing out.

I think I will try to pull out the inner fender following your advice... If it turns out to be too difficult I will following rocketrider´s tip...

Thanks a lot to all of you, guys... I´ll keep you posted about the results
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:45 AM

Hi there,

finally a friend who helped me with all the fixings that the car was needing suggested using a nylon thread to take the old broken script... And Pop! Out it went quick and easy... The remains of the old script were stuck to the body with double sided adhesive tape.

The new one was attached with 2 nuts through the door access to the inside of the fender with delicate touch to place the nut and a small ratchet wrench.

Under the old script there were small chips surely caused when someone tryed to pull off the script (see the pic below). We fixed them with a small brush before installing the new one and now it looks great, as you can see on the pics:

Thank you all for your help and support!

Next body intervention: Repaint the "S" emblem with the proper paint
Old October 29th, 2017, 12:01 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Awesome, I will be removing mine shortly, tells me what I need to do. Helpful thread.