Should I buy aftermarket front fender or try and buy used.

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2016, 11:19 AM

Should I buy aftermarket front fender or try and buy used.

I am in need of a front left fender, Center Grill and Front bumper for my 71 Olds Cutlass Supreme, is it better to buy aftermarket or try to find used?

I live in Minnesota and older parts are hard to find that are not all rusted out.

If I buy aftermarket where is the best place to purchase from especially because of the shipping on the larger parts.

Help please!!
Old November 20th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Gary

THE PARTS PLACE will have a 10% sale starting this week Thursday or Friday and last thru the weekend. Tamraz is also a good source for reproduction parts they are offering 10% off on Monday if you use code BLACKFRIDAY 2016. I don't know if any of the vendors reproduction parts are any better than the others but you will find that some vendors are more expensive than others. Also you might one to look in the Parts for sale section on this forum.
Old November 20th, 2016, 04:13 PM

IMO, if you can find an OEM fender you will be way ahead of the game. Repro body parts don't have the same gauge metal in most cases and they all need tweaking to get a good fit. What you'll save on the part you will spend having it tweaked to fit correctly in most cases.
Old November 20th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Place a parts wanted request in the classified section and see if you can find a good used one. Shipping will probably be the same while the cost of the part may be less expensive.
Old November 20th, 2016, 04:26 PM

You will be way ahead of the game by tracking down a good OEM fender from a fellow CO member, even if it costs you more you will be much happier with the finished result.
Thanks, Ron
Old November 21st, 2016, 04:15 AM

OK Thanks everyone I will see what I can find for used parts first.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 05:49 AM
72 Olds CS

I've read good things about the tamraz bumpers finding a driver condition bumper should be doable, but if you want better I would get the tamraz or PP one., I agree an OE fender will likely fit better or have crisper lines, but finding one that needs little to no work one could prove difficult or costly. If you can weld in a patch panel and fabricate the brace you'll be worlds ahead, if you don't have these skills an aftermarket fender may be a better choice. There's plenty of our cars out there w aftermarket fenders on them

It will really come down to do you want to make a show car or a driver? Some folks spend a lot of money on a car then lament they can't drive it anywhere for fear of damage, some folks would rather drive and enjoy the car and not worry about a few warts on a 40 YO vehicle.

You may want to post a pic of the actual damage, the front bumpers once detached actually bend pretty easy and if it's only tweaked you might be able to bend it back close to original shape.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 06:02 AM
71 cutlass convertible

I had to replace both fenders. I ended up with one repaired OEM and one repo. The repo is thinner metal. I have it on the car with the other one and it looks fine for a driver. I will admit I haven't done a final fitting to the car as they will becoming off again as work continues. I found it on craigs list for $200, I think I paid $200 also for the repaired one.