73 delta 88 royale - body stripe

Old July 17th, 2016, 09:37 AM

73 delta 88 royale - body stripe

I'm looking to see where I can get new vinyl pinstripe for my 73 delta 88??? They were supposed to be white but now are an ugly brown..

Last edited by Vballer; July 17th, 2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM

Vinyl stripe for 73 D88

Where can I get a new white vinyl stripe for my 73 Oldsmobile delta 88 ?? Thanks
Old July 17th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Welcome to the forum and nice car. I believe you are looking for the side moldings. Finding NOS replacement parts would be impossible. Yours could be painted to make them look white again. Used to be able to get an after market side molding kit that would look similar to the original, however that was many years ago. So I don't know if you could find anything like that now. ~BOB
Old July 18th, 2016, 05:57 AM

Here is some aftermarket stuff I found with a Google search.

http://www.brandsport.com/body-side-molding.html

The problem is going to be finding something the same if you want an exact match. Have you tried cleaning the trim on your car? It looks to be in decent shape besides the oxidation and discoloring.
Old July 18th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Lansing built

^^^^ my thoughts also maybe try some comet or ajax with a little water and an old tooth brush.

Pat
Old July 19th, 2016, 06:55 AM

Paint and body supply shops sell stuff like that. Different widths and different colors.
Old July 19th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You'll never find it, unless you happen to come across a stash of original NOS mouldings.

As the others have said, your best bet is to use an aggressive detergent cleaner (Fantastik, Formula 409, Oil Eater, etc.) to clean what you've got.

Remember, though, that the rubber strips are NOT well adhered to the stainless steel mouldings. Those of us who remember when those cars were new, also remember how, when they were just a few years old, those strips began to peel off of the mouldings, and how the dangling or protruding ends were irresistible bait for children to grab and pull.
VERY few of those cars made it through the seventies with their rubber strips intact.

In my own case, I just scuffed the mouldings and painted the areas where the strips were; I have to repaint them when the paint peels off, but it's the best I can do.

And a pinstripe, by definition, is a narrow painted stripe. Those strips are the opposite of pinstripes.

Welcome to ClassicOlds.

- Eric
Old March 11th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Local Hero
Paint and body supply shops sell stuff like that. Different widths and different colors.
'
Hey bro, where did you get the skirts for you 75 delta 88 because I want to put a set on my car but having a little trouble. I was told that a set off of a 1976 ninety eight will fit directly on but I don't know for sure. do you know what all Oldsmobile's skirts that will fit so I can get me a set because they makes they set the car off.
Old March 12th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Sherwood, do you mean fender skirts or trim like in the pic posted above? If you need fender skirts then your Delta 88 has been modified. 98s had fender skirts from 1971-1976, like this:

If you need vinyl trim for your Delta 88 it will be hard to come by an exact match. You can get generic vinyl trim from suppliers like JC Whitney or the one I linked above. If you want an exact match your going to have to find NOS parts on Ebay or something liek Eric mentioned.
Old March 12th, 2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by sherwoodside
'
Hey bro, where did you get the skirts for you 75 delta 88 because I want to put a set on my car but having a little trouble. I was told that a set off of a 1976 ninety eight will fit directly on but I don't know for sure. do you know what all Oldsmobile's skirts that will fit so I can get me a set because they makes they set the car off.
These are the skirts he's referring to. My Dad actually made these from scratch to look factory. I'm likely wrong, but I always thought that only 98s came with skirts. We made these up to make the 88 look longer. Combine that with the "gentleman drop" (lopping a coil off of each coil spring) and it still looks stock only different. That difference becomes super apparent when it's parked right next to a bone stock 88.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0977 resized 2.JPG (113.0 KB, 3 views)