Need help finding rocker panel or whatever it is called

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2014, 07:40 AM

Need help finding rocker panel or whatever it is called

Hey I believe I am missing the chrome moulding that goes along my 1976 Cutlass Supremes underside, between the front and rear tires, I belive it is called a rocker panel cover or something like that. I can't find anything on the internet and when I ask part suppliers they don't know.

Also I am starting to wonder if my car is just an S and not a Supreme? I have been told it is an supreme by previous owner and it says so in registration aswell, but it looks so different from this other car I just don't know.

Here is what I am talking about:
Random car on the internet with these:

And my car is missing these:
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:28 AM

I have a '77 Cutlass Supreme that I'm parting out. It has both of those pieces. I don't know much about these mid '70s cars though. Your car is the Cutlass S & not a Supreme. The rear part of the roof is different. Does you car have the holes where these were mounted? If not, maybe the S did not have these from the factory?
Old January 9th, 2014, 09:25 AM

I had to go out and check, yes there are holes all along that seems to be meant for a chrome molding.

I also did some research on my car and it is a "Supreme", in 76 the "Supreme coupe" is the same as mine, The "Supreme brougham" pictured above is very similar, but has a different roofline and grille. The "Salon Coupe" had T-tops, otherwise it looks the same as mine, then you had the "S Coupe" which had a sloped grille, also known as the 442.

I am interested in the pieces you got, sending you a PM
Old January 9th, 2014, 01:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Christheviking
I also did some research on my car and it is a "Supreme", in 76 the "Supreme coupe" is the same as mine, The "Supreme brougham" pictured above is very similar, but has a different roofline and grille. The "Salon Coupe" had T-tops, otherwise it looks the same as mine, then you had the "S Coupe" which had a sloped grille, also known as the 442.
Not sure where you did your research, mine is directly from 1976 and 1977 Dealer brochures.

1. The Cutlass Supreme coupes have a formal roof line exactly like the Cutlass Salon in your first picture and they shared exactly the same waterfall grills. What you are calling a Supreme 'brougham' is a Cutlass Salon. They are simply different trim and badging levels. There is no difference in any of those bodies.

2. T tops could be ordered on ANY of the 76 Cutlass Supreme/Brougham or Salon coupes. T tops are not special to one trim line, but are available only for the formal roof line.

3. Cutlass, Cutlass S, Cutlass Supreme and Cutlass Salon all had different interior trim lines commensurate with their 'pecking order' with the Olds brand. Cutlass and Cutlass S coupes shared the same body lines, whereas Cutlass Supreme (Brougham) and Cutlass Salon shared the same body lines. The only differentiation on the 4 door colonade coupes body lines will be the header panel and tail light pods as determined by trim codes.

4. Cutlass S Colonnade coupe (there was also a Cutlass S sedan) was the only model in 1976 that could be ordered with the 442 option. 442 was not a model. There were tons of Cutlass S coupes not ordered with the 442 option (W29) and very very few were produced with a 455 engine.

5. ALL 1976 Cutlass and Cutlass S coupe models came with the sloped grills. It was not a 442 trademark. The white car you show is a 1977 Cutlass S model with the waterfall grill. In 1977 it would be correct to say that the 442 Cutlass (trim line) was the only coupe with the sloped grills and was no longer available with a BB 455. SBO 403 or smaller engines only.
Old January 9th, 2014, 03:17 PM

Allan you are probably completely right, I shouldn't have used the term "research" as much as a google search. There is very little to be found on the internet about these cars and I don't have much in the terms of brochures other than the car manual and a haynes repair booklet.

I am still pretty sure my car is a Supreme, will the VIN number give me any indications wheter it is?
Old January 9th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Christheviking
I am still pretty sure my car is a Supreme, will the VIN number give me any indications wheter it is?
Absolutely. Here's a VIN decoder that should work for you
Olds VIN decoder 1946-97
Old March 4th, 2014, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Absolutely. Here's a VIN decoder that should work for you
Olds VIN decoder 1946-97
That is so cool!
This is what I got:

Year:1976Division:OldsmobileSeries:CutlassBody:CoupeEngine:350 (5.7) V8 4BBLPlant:Lansing, MichiganSerial Number:329435
This helps me alot and it tells me that the old man I bought it from didn't have a clue about the car! He told me it was a Supreme, and it said so in the registration aswell, however an S is just as good. Also he told me it was a 2 barrel carb, which I later found out it was much better a 4 BBL

I have now found the outer rocker panels I was missing, but I won' order until I'm 100 % sure it is what I was missing: http://c2cfabrication.com/store/prod...roducts_id=245

I am still intersted in what you got oldspackrat

Also I am wondering if someone has the wheel well opening chrome trim? and stainless steel opera window trim?

I have some things that I don't need anymore like original single exhaust crossmember, original exhaust manifold (ok condition), original converter (I have no idea what the stall is? but it is in good condition), new unused 9 by 11 brake shoes (too small for my brakes). I sell or trade everything cheap if interested (Im in Norway so I have to deal with intl' shipping, but i have us shipping company that sends stuff to my address if I buy something in the US)