I figured this project might interest a few people.

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM

I figured this project might interest a few people.

I got a 1985 cutlass salon with a slow 307Y.
I was thinking of droping a early 60's 394 with 11:1 compression in. The ones that had 345hp and 400 torque from the factory.
And putting in a 2 speed power glide or 4 speed slapstick. and along the lines of 3.73 rear gears.

But mayby someone can answer some questions.
I don't know what to do about suspension since a cutlass is much lighter than a delta 88 dynamic and the springs and shocks might still make it sit to high.

And Does anybody know if there is a ram air hood for an 85
I like the ones that catch air off the windshield.

Come on now, everyone enjoys seeing an olds stomp chevelles, and mustangs
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:02 AM
Past Administrator

You can get suspension parts with poly bushings that give a "tighter" feel made for your car at places like Year One, or even the mail order catalogs like Summit or Jegs. The hood is a different story, you are describing the cowl induction hood that Chevy had on their big muscle cars in the early seventies. Oldsmobile didn't use that, they used air scoops at the front of the hood or down low on the bumper but that was also in the seventies. I couldn't say if that was available for the mid eighties models. Again, if you can get hold of one of those catalogs I mentioned they would most likely have all the aftermarket options for your car. Even if you got a hood, you would need the correct height and under hood accessories to use the scoops on the hood or even the air inlets in a bumper for that matter, not impossible but I would say a difficult task. Let us know what you come up with though.
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:25 PM

Thanks for the Info, man.
Hell, I might just get a desiel blower off a semi or something and get two 4-barrel carburators popping out of my stock hood.
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:42 PM

Let me try one more time.
That hood style I was talking about, I didn't know the name but I can't find it on any car on any site.

let me describe it,
My Uncle had an old elcamino. and when you set behind the wheel there was this long vent looking piece that stretched the length of the hood sitting between the hood and windshield. and it would pivot open when you pushed the gas then shut when you let off.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:01 PM
Past Administrator

Yes, you are describing the Chevrolet Cowl Induction. I know they were on the Chevelle SS models around '68 to '71 maybe but don't quote me on that. I am sure about the name though. You might find a replica hood to fit your model car, again, I would try one of the catalogs like Jegs or Summit as they cater to the muscle car era.

this

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

and this

http://www.chevelles.com/classifieds.../cowl_hood.jpg
Old June 26th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Yes, that is an interesting idea , although I'm not sure it's a great idea.
I'm an early Olds engine fan, having had cars with the 324 CID engine , the 371 CID engine, and my '62 Starfire with the 394 CID engine with 345 hp.
The early Olds engine was a favorite with hot rodders due to it's overhead valve design, fairly large displacement , and strong construction. A lot of 371 and 394 hot rods were fitted with superchargers for drag racing, and they held up well under the strain. ( Some day, I keep telling myself, I'm going to build a '41 ****** street rod with a blown 394 engine ! Some day. )
In this day and age, however, the early Olds is more nostalgia than a really good choice for a street engine. Keep in mind that the engine is heavy , the horsepower ratings from the 1960s were " gross" ratings and not " net" ratings ( and were more the product of the advertising dept. than the engineering dept.) , and parts are scarce. I wouldn't hestate to recommend a later Olds engine like the 330, 350 , 400, 425, or 455 , but you have to have a good reason for going back to the early block , such as a restoration .
Having said all of that, I have to point out that my '62 394 Starfire will run 16 seconds flat at 89 mph in the quarter mile, which isn't bad for a 4300 lb. car.
I estimate that requires about 285 net horsepower at the flywheel.
Good luck with your project !
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM

394 into late model chassis

PetChemMan, brought up some interesting points. Although did you realize the transmission will not fit the early blocks without major fabrication/machining. 700r4 is a much better choice. Last time I checked it was almost $800 bucks to adapt this trans to my 64 394. Also motor mounts on those applications where totally different, which also would require some major fabrication. Not to be a wet blanket, but it may be easier to use a later model engine trans combo. How 'bout a turbo charged Buick v-6??
JT
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:27 AM

I wrote a "long" post but I cancelled it, too much info. I have three Olds powered G-bodied race cars, 2 mothballed. Anyhow, do u have the 394? U r opening up a can of worms. You will have to be pretty handy or have a lot of money, really a little of both. Speed parts for a 394 are pricey and hard to get. You will have a $1000 in a cam/lifters/springs, more if u need roller rockers, (custom grind and hard to find 0.921 lifters.) Headers?? Alot of fabricating or have a custom set made, hmmmm $1200/1500. Trans has been talked about already. Rear-end? Well, if it is a nice car you will have to do something about the rear-end. At least after-market axles. If u break anaxle on the 7.5" stock rear-end it will probaly domajor damage to your quarter panel because they aren't bolt-in axles, C-clipped. Better yet get a Ford 9", cost ?, hmmm $1800/2000. One of my G-bodies is a $200 Regal with a blown 6 cylinder engine that I dragged home. I have lots of extra parts laying around. I made it into a bracket "small" block Olds race car just to use up and to see how the S/B/Olds run. Back then I couldn't "give" away a 350 Olds but now even they are getting a little scarce. I bought a 72 Cutlass project car cheap with lots of parts. It had a 403 with the machine work done. I used all odd-ball parts I had laying around. I put a set of stock #5 heads with a one-angle valve job, I did grind the A.I.R. bumps out. Used Lunati .496/.521 cam/lifters/springs/HolleyStreetDominator intake/Qudrajet carb/ Sat-nite Special converter/ 350 trans/ 3:73 Posi 7.5 rear-end, remember I only paid $200 for the car if I break an axle I can part the car out and make money. If an axle breaks it will happen on the Starting line. So, I have very little money in this car, all odd-ball parts I had. Runs cool/smooth, it runs consistant 13:10's, best was 12:94@105mph. I could get it in the 12:50's. The heads are holding it back, I can't get it rich enough, heads don't flow. I have to run an air filter and shift it low at 5300 rpm's or it breaks up, running out of fuel, comes thru at 5150 rpm's. So basicly I am telling u to put a healthy small block Olds in it, uses all your mounts/brackets and they will run strong also. It's all about work/money. I am just trying to save you both. Later, Ken