425 Super Rocker V8 Increase BHP

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:20 AM
Englishman

425 Super Rocker V8 Increase BHP

Hello from the UK,
I've just purchased a 1965 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday Pillarless Sedan. It's got all the available factory extras from the time, including twin exhausts and pleated upholstery.

It's in pretty good shape as was only imported to UK from SF in 2005 and has been dry stored over the winters.

My intention is to fully restore but in the meantime i would like to make some engine modifications to increase the BHP. I'm not very clued up when it comes to American cars so would like some advice - this seems like the ideal place to get it.

If i were to replace the carb etc, what model Holley would i need for this engine and is there anything else i can do to increase power?

According to log book it's currently 310bhp from a 425ci block with 3 speed Turbo Hydramatic Transmission.

Thanks
Dan
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:39 AM

Welcome aboard, Sounds like you are going to have a fun time ahead. This is a great resource for all of your questions. Please post pictures of your ride. There are several people here who can help you with carb selections. I prefer Hollys myself but there are several members who are going to suggest that you stick with an updated or modified version of the carb that came with the 425 which if your plan is restoration I agree with with. The will chime in and I will take some heat for using a 770CFM double pumper on my built 455. Good luck and stay in touch
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:54 AM
Englishman

Cheers.
Any info you can give me on my car would be greatly appreciated!
I'll add some pics to the gallery now.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Welcome aboard, Sounds like you are going to have a fun time ahead. This is a great resource for all of your questions. Please post pictures of your ride. There are several people here who can help you with carb selections. I prefer Hollys myself but there are several members who are going to suggest that you stick with an updated or modified version of the carb that came with the 425 which if your plan is restoration I agree with with. The will chime in and I will take some heat for using a 770CFM double pumper on my built 455. Good luck and stay in touch
Not that anyone cares about this mundane subject but when you swapped to a 770 CFM double pumper, what did you MPG do?

Last year I took one off a 455 and replaced it with a Q-jet and I am much happier.

Just MHO
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:32 AM

1. get a moderate camshaft like a Comp Cams HE268 or small magnum or XE, keeping the .050" duration around 218-225 degrees.
2. dual exhaust, low restriction mufflers
3. consider a 66-up intake manifold with a properly jetted Quadrajet.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by DAN76
Hello from the UK,
I've just purchased a 1965 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Holiday Pillarless Sedan. It's got all the available factory extras from the time, including twin exhausts and pleated upholstery.

It's in pretty good shape as was only imported to UK from SF in 2005 and has been dry stored over the winters.

My intention is to fully restore but in the meantime i would like to make some engine modifications to increase the BHP. I'm not very clued up when it comes to American cars so would like some advice - this seems like the ideal place to get it.

If i were to replace the carb etc, what model Holley would i need for this engine and is there anything else i can do to increase power?

According to log book it's currently 310bhp from a 425ci block with 3 speed Turbo Hydramatic Transmission.

Thanks
Dan
Dual exhaust manifolds are a must, I have a holley 750cfm vac secondaries carb and a edelbrok performer intake manifold and I am very happy with the results.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by 65Delta88
Dual exhaust manifolds are a must, I have a holley 750cfm vac secondaries carb and a edelbrok performer intake manifold and I am very happy with the results.

do you know what power output that gives?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Not that anyone cares about this mundane subject but when you swapped to a 770 CFM double pumper, what did you MPG do?

Last year I took one off a 455 and replaced it with a Q-jet and I am much happier.

Just MHO
I have less then 100 miles on the engine so I have done MPG test yet. I will let you know in a week or two. My 57 is a play car and when I get my build sheet done and posted you will see that MGP was not my concern when I built the engine. How you comming with tranny and interior mods?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by citcapp

Would you be able to tell me what the factory fitted carb spec is for this car and how to modify/upgrade ?
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
1. get a moderate camshaft like a Comp Cams HE268 or small magnum or XE, keeping the .050" duration around 218-225 degrees.
2. dual exhaust, low restriction mufflers
3. consider a 66-up intake manifold with a properly jetted Quadrajet.
hi there,
welcome --some real smart guys here with good knowledge--wish I were one !!
BUT
What R TO R says above would have to be a good start.
YOUR OLDS will be a real eyecatcher in London. Not sure how you will negotiate your way around the streets !!!
good luck
mike
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:13 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Your car came with a 4gc (I think it's called) and there's not many performance options to choose. I would get a Edelbrock Performer, paint it to match the engine and get a Quadrajet from here http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/ built for it which will wake it up nicely and improve mpg.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
Your car came with a 4gc (I think it's called) and there's not many performance options to choose. I would get a Edelbrock Performer, paint it to match the engine and get a Quadrajet from here http://www.sparkyscarbs.com/ built for it which will wake it up nicely and improve mpg.

Excellent, thanks. I've had my eye on a Holley 750 on ebay but am being advised more to go for the Q-Jet. Are they similar in power increase?

And do these items simply bolt on or will i need someone with considerable experience to do the job for me?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 07:52 AM
Just the facts...

agreed that the quadrajet will be a nice improvement. you could also use a factory 4-bbl. intake from a pre-egr application, '70 and up. the reason i start at '70 is, that was the first year for the integral choke, no "hard to find" stove coil in the manifold.
alternatively, you could use a pre-egr 4-bbl. intake from '66 and up, with a '70-'75 carb(would need a custom throttle end).

second on www.sparkyscarbs.com

bill

Last edited by BILL DEMMER; October 3rd, 2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:07 AM

Excellent, thanks. I've had my eye on a Holley 750 on ebay but am being advised more to go for the Q-Jet. Are they similar in power increase?

And do these items simply bolt on or will i need someone with considerable experience to do the job for me?
Simple bolt on stuff, take ya a few hours with basic tools. Just make sure you torque everything down correctly.
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:26 AM
Englishman

I've been offered an Edelbrock Performer carb here in the UK. It's a 750 model tuned for moderate to high street performance. (part No. 1407)

is this as good as a Quadrajet?
Old October 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I had one, wasn't impressed by it at all.
Old October 8th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Englishman

I had one, wasn't impressed by it at all.

what was the issue?
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM

what was the issue?
Didn't have the power I expected, driveability wasn't great and economy was in the toilet. I put the QJ back on.
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:23 AM

Didn't have the power I expected, driveability wasn't great and economy was in the toilet. I put the QJ back on.

X2

That has been my experience.
Old October 9th, 2008, 12:08 PM
blkmonday

i actually have the edelbrock carb and love it. been trouble free for over ten years. i have it on top of a performer manifold with a mild crane came and dual exhaust. the engine is bored 30 over and has dual exhaust. its been a very dependable "street rod" not to wild but not too mild....as far as gas mileage goes....who cares...its a a street rod its not supposed to be good on gas...gas mileage is for my cavalier.

the edelbrock carb is a copy of the carter carb...mine is also the spread bore design so it will sit on a stock 4bbl manifold and replace the rochester "stumblejet" directly

Old October 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Englishman

Originally Posted by blkmonday
i actually have the edelbrock carb and love it. been trouble free for over ten years. i have it on top of a performer manifold with a mild crane came and dual exhaust. the engine is bored 30 over and has dual exhaust. its been a very dependable "street rod" not to wild but not too mild....as far as gas mileage goes....who cares...its a a street rod its not supposed to be good on gas...gas mileage is for my cavalier.

the edelbrock carb is a copy of the carter carb...mine is also the spread bore design so it will sit on a stock 4bbl manifold and replace the rochester "stumblejet" directly

i'm not too fussed about mileage either. The car only comes out when the sun's shining anyway (not very often in UK!!!).

Well i've bought the carb anyway. It's a performer 750 (1407) so now all i need is the performer intake manifold. Will i need anything else to fit this lot, like a gasket fitting kit??

What have you done with your choke?
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:14 AM
Past Administrator

You will need a new gasket set if you remove the intake manifold. Do you have a catalog like Summit, or Jegs, or Speedway? Can you order from them and get delivery there in the UK? One of those would be a great help. You can get all that kind of speed stuff from them. I have piles and piles of them. Once you order from one you become a customer and receive catalogs about twice a year from them.
Old October 10th, 2008, 05:56 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
You will need a new gasket set if you remove the intake manifold. Do you have a catalog like Summit, or Jegs, or Speedway? Can you order from them and get delivery there in the UK? One of those would be a great help. You can get all that kind of speed stuff from them. I have piles and piles of them. Once you order from one you become a customer and receive catalogs about twice a year from them.

They charge £24.99 to even consider shipping anything overseas, then it's the actual shipping cost on top plus 21% duty.

seems a bit much for a set of 15 dollar gaskets!

i'll just have to wait until i have more items to order.
Old October 12th, 2008, 10:31 AM
blkmonday

i actually switched over to a manual choke. i dont drive the car in the winter at all...so the manual choke isnt really an issue

Old October 12th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Past Administrator

Manual chokes aren't really that bad, we have become spoiled by the automatics.
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:34 AM
Englishman

Originally Posted by blkmonday

My Performer 750 carb is Square bore and the Performer intake is Dual Plane. Does this require a mounting kit?