Brackets

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2008, 11:11 AM

Brackets

Hi - I am putting a 455 in my 71 Cutlass. It originally had a 350 that blew up. I am using an aftermarket Edelbrock Performer No. 21511.

The car has been sitting around for about a year now, so I forgot what brackets I took off and where they go.

I am having trouble figuring out how to get the brackets for the A/C, Alternator & power steering pump back on.

Can anybody assist me with this, does anyone out there have pictures?

Thanks....Tim
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM

this is off a 68 that I found on the net. Don't know if it is exactly t5he same as the 71 should be but may jog your memory. I checked to see if I had a cleaner or more detailed engine compartment shot but I don't. Hope this helps.

Last edited by csstrux; February 14th, 2009 at 04:56 AM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 12:29 PM

a/c bracket

Here's a pic of a 69 a/c compressor w/ bracket, but ya really should get a shop manual and or assembly manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
HOengine[1].jpg (85.0 KB, 38 views)
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the pics - they are helpful. I have a factory service manual but it really doesn't show very much in the way of the brackets.

Feels dumb not remembering how these things went on. But I think part of the problem is the aftermarket intake, the holes just don't seem to align the same. I don't remember having this problem last time I built up a 455 (which was 22 years ago) with the Edelbrock intake also.

T
Old September 26th, 2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by timothypaul
Thanks for the pics - they are helpful. I have a factory service manual but it really doesn't show very much in the way of the brackets.

Feels dumb not remembering how these things went on. But I think part of the problem is the aftermarket intake, the holes just don't seem to align the same. I don't remember having this problem last time I built up a 455 (which was 22 years ago) with the Edelbrock intake also.

T
What else do you want close up of, I can take some more pics in the a.m if you need 'em.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM

I can get more of the Power Steering bracket in the morning as well. My finders are still off so I can get a good angle of the lower parts, if you need them. The key for the P/S is putting the lower hole on the upper corner of the timing marker. The rest will line up. Since this photo, I have lined up both of the front bolts on the Alternator, I had to loosen the lower Alternator bracket that goes to the P/S and the exhaust manifold to do it.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:39 PM

Boy hamm that is purdy how extensive did you get with that pup?
Old September 26th, 2008, 07:59 PM

One bolt leads to the other...lot further then I though I would. There is about $2400 in the block. I replaced the rotten chrome valve covers with stock I got from ebay for about $8 total. I striped, primed and painted them. Re-pop W/Z exhaust, I had orginal X/Z, but Z was cracked. Every bolt replaced with grade 8, except the valve and oil pan covers I bought orginal replacements and P/S studs. Everything else was on the motor before the rebuild minus cap, wires, plugs and oil filter. That is the Tamraz's Blue and Ommi AU 9300 black on everything. Thanks for the response.
I am hoping it will scream like a cheap monkey.

Last edited by hamm36; December 30th, 2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 7th, 2008, 08:58 PM
TBM

Hello Everyone. I am looking to purchase an Alternator bracket set for the drivers side of the 350 engine ( Factory ) Do any of you have a contact or do you have a set to sell? Thanks. Please email me if you do.
Old October 8th, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by hamm36
One bolt leads to the other...lot further then I though I would. There is about $2400 in the block. I replaced the rotten chrome valve covers with stock I got from ebay for about $8 total. I striped, primed and painted them. Re-pop W/Z exhaust, I had orginal X/Z, but Z was cracked. Every bolt replaced with grade 8, except the valve and oil pan covers I bought orginal replacements and P/S studs. Everything else was on the motor before the rebuild minus cap, wires, plugs and oil filter. That is the Tamraz's Blue and Ommi AU 9300 black on everything. Thanks for the response.
I am hoping it will scream like a cheap monkey.
nice.