Heater Control Valve fitting

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Past Administrator

Heater Control Valve fitting

I have decided to try and get the 455 fired up after a year of sitting. As many of you may know, I have, sort of, come to an impasse on my 1946 model 76 project. The 455 is in the car, almost ready to go. I am planning on wiring the starter, ignition key and coil to start the engine this Saturday. I just remembered that I don't have a heater control valve or even a fitting to delete it (I will eventually use the 1946 control valve which is a different configuration so I really only need a fitting to fit the engine). I want to run a coolant hose from the water pump to the back of the engine. So, does anyone know where I can get a fitting with a nipple on it to attach the heater hose? I remember looking at the local parts store and even the local Hardware store plumbing department about a year ago when I put the engine in with no success. This will put the brakes on my plans for Saturday and I really need to get some momentum going to get over this impasse I have been at for almost a year. Could someone help me out with an idea so I can at least get the coolant hose hooked up so I can start the engine and move the car. This will be a big boost to get me "on the road again". Thanks guys.
Old September 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM

I recall that we bought a nipple fitting at the local hardware store when I was tinkering with my 394 in college. If they don't have it at Ace you might have to drive down to Independence and go to the big hardware store next to Sam's Club.
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:13 PM

I'm using a valve off a mack/peterbuilt truck. I got it at a truck parts place. It threads into the intake and has a nipple on a 90*. Hope this helps Jkaz
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Registered

Any threaded water pump nipple with a NPT thread should work, they don't have one laying around the parts store on an old pump with threaded heater hose fittings? Everybody sells them like Summit and the like, just a basic brass straight nipple with the hose end. Any plumber's supplly should have all those parts for pumps, my power washer has a couple on it, Snears and Rubbish has them in the little parts drawer boxes too. You may be a little off the beaten path there though? the suppliers are everywhere around here.

Allan
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Dan I looked in my NAPA book & they have some in a 90 with a manual shut off
Old September 13th, 2008, 07:19 AM

I accomplished this with two pieces. I used a nipple and a NPT reducer since I couldn't find one with the correct ends. They were from my local True Value. There was a fairly recent thread where someone recommended a place to get these on-line. I searched it but the info is on my work computer so I'll have to post during the week. If you need it earlier you might find it by searching threads.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Past Administrator

Problem was solved this way. I had a nipple to fit the heater hose but with 1/2"MIP which was too small, the size of the opening on the back of the manifold is 3/4"FIP which actually measures about 1 inch across. I think pipe thread fixtures and pipes are labeled by the inside diameter of the pipe. Anyway, I found what is called a "UNION" 1/2"FIP to 3/4"MIP in brass but they were also available in galvanized. My local Ace Hardware didn't have them but the Home Depot did. I just put the union in the bench vise, taped up the nipple and mounted it on the union, then taped up the union and mounted it on the manifold. Viola!

By the way, I got the ignition key, starter button (remember this is a '46 body), starter, coil and distributor wired up. And got the heater hose on. Not much work but I think I got my mojo on the gojo so to speak. Now I am motivated to keep going.