66 Olds 442 Oil Stick

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2008, 06:35 AM

66 Olds 442 Oil Stick

Small problem that im hoping someone here can help me out with. My oils stick has come totally out of the engine block (tube and all) i cannot find the location of where it should go? Do i need to jack the car up to get to it? I know it probably goes directly into the pan but i am unable to locate. If the tube and stick are not in the block can oil leakage occur from that area?
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:53 AM

It goes into the block. I have had one break and it did not leak, but I did not drive it a lot till I fixed it.
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Oil Stick

Thanks for the quick response......im aware that it goes into the block but im trying to get an excact location of where it goes into (as precise as anyone can be)
Old September 9th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Drivers side ...go under the car and you will see the embossing on the lower block forward of starter. Should not be hard to find.
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Oil Stick

Thanks a million. Please forgive me but im a newbie and this is my first real muscle car and im learning as i go along, but can you please explain "go under the car and you will see the embossing on the lower block forward of starter"? Im lost on the "embossing" portion.......can you explain? and is that going into the actual block or the oil pan itself?
Old September 9th, 2008, 08:32 AM

The lower block there has a raised portion and is flat on top with a hole for the tube. The tube goes in the block and the hole ther leads to the oil pan.
Old September 9th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Picture of installed dipstick tube

eBay pictures to the rescue... I found a car on eBay with a decent picture of that part of the engine:

The dipstick is in the lower-right hand corne -- the horizontal blue thing.

I think the reason it is hard to find is that the top of the tube (the part you normally see when checking the oil) is in a different place than the actual hole in the block. Although the tube installs in the block, the top of it is wedged between the exhaust manifold and the head. This is all on the driver's side, as I recall. When you reinstall the tube, it helps to have two people -- one lying on the ground to see the hole in the block, and the 2nd person to shove the tube down between the manifold and head.

As always, someone correct me if I'm wrong.