455 lifter bores

Search this Thread

Old August 23rd, 2008, 03:05 PM

455 lifter bores

Can the lifter bores in a 455 be bored to accept roller lifters from a 307? It seems that roller cams aren't much more expensive than a flat cam, it's all the other stuff that goes along with it that costs the money. (roller lifters, cam button,etc) Also will beefed up 5A heads work on a 455? Will they work in conjunction with a roller cam? What kind of compression would they give me?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CutlassSalon
Can the lifter bores in a 455 be bored to accept roller lifters from a 307? It seems that roller cams aren't much more expensive than a flat cam, it's all the other stuff that goes along with it that costs the money. (roller lifters, cam button,etc) Also will beefed up 5A heads work on a 455? Will they work in conjunction with a roller cam? What kind of compression would they give me?
The stock 307 roller lifters are fairly heavy. More to the point, you should get lifters and cam as a matched set from one vendor. The 307 heads will bolt up to a 455, but why would you want to. Smaller ports, smaller valves, not your best choice.
Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The 307 heads will bolt up to a 455, but why would you want to. Smaller ports, smaller valves, not your best choice.
You're right about the smaller ports and valves. My reasoning behind it is to bring the compression up so I can run E-85. I can put bigger valves in and I want to try my hand at porting. If I tear up the 5A heads there's really no love loss because I still have the E heads that came on the 455. I don't want to raise the compression with just the pistons because there is a rumor that they are doing away with the sale of E-85 in Missouri. So just in case that's true, I want to be able to put a stock set of heads back on it so I can run 89 or 91 octane without changing the pistons too.

What about a set of 4A heads from a 403? Would they be a better choice?
Old August 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by CutlassSalon
You're right about the smaller ports and valves. My reasoning behind it is to bring the compression up so I can run E-85. I can put bigger valves in and I want to try my hand at porting. If I tear up the 5A heads there's really no love loss because I still have the E heads that came on the 455. I don't want to raise the compression with just the pistons because there is a rumor that they are doing away with the sale of E-85 in Missouri. So just in case that's true, I want to be able to put a stock set of heads back on it so I can run 89 or 91 octane without changing the pistons too.

What about a set of 4A heads from a 403? Would they be a better choice?
I think the 5-6-7 heads from an early 350 would be a better choice. You can put big block sized valves in them.
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:43 AM

Good idea to go with e 85. I have seen alot of racers using it as cheap race gas. People have said that they are making more power and longer lasting engines.
Old August 24th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm afraid I have to wonder if the smaller ports will negate any benefits.
Old August 24th, 2008, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by dan2286
Good idea to go with e 85. I have seen alot of racers using it as cheap race gas. People have said that they are making more power and longer lasting engines.
Yeah, I like the sound of E-85. It's race gas octane at pump gas price. I know the production of E-85 is raising the price of corn which directly effects my farm and the cost of food, but they are going to make it anyway. So I am jumping on the train.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think the 5-6-7 heads from an early 350 would be a better choice. You can put big block sized valves in them.

You're probably right Joe. If I go searching for these 350 heads in a salvage yard, what would be a good price for good cores?