How often do you change your oil??

Search this Thread

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:34 PM

How often do you change your oil??

I have a '75 Delta with a stock 455 and only drive it between 500 and 1000 miles a year.

Oil & filter change once a year ample?

What are you guys doing with your cars that don't get driven that often?

Thanks in advance!
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:46 PM
Justin

I change mine twice a year before storage and before I drive it for the summer

Edit : I start it every month and let it get warm as well thought I would add this info in

Last edited by oldstata; August 11th, 2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Once a year is more than sufficient for that tractor motor, and that many miles.

With a highly-tuned race motor, I wouldn't argue with twice a year, but not a stock lump, especially a low-compression mid-'70s one.

- Eric
Old August 11th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Administrator

I do twice a year, fall and spring.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I do an oil change every 2 trips to the drag strip. or every 3 months. depending on my cars useage during the cruising season.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Once a year, somewhere between Thanksgiving & Xmas depending on when the roads get messy. I drive it a few times each winter if we get rain & then the roads dry clean.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Always room for one more

I think once a year is okay, as long as the engine warms up to normal operating temp when you start it up.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:10 AM

Every 30-35 passes because OIL IS CHEAPER THAN A MOTOR! My street cars get it every 2000 but I really wouldn't wait a year.

Last edited by 380 Racer; August 12th, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM

Every 6k miles, daily driver. That equates to about every 9 months.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:42 AM

My daily drivers get Napa (Valvoline) full synthetic and a Napa Gold/Wix filter every 5k. My Oldsmobiles get Amsoil full synthetic (Z-Rod 10w-30 for the '68 and Dominator Racing 15w-40 in the '65) and a Napa Gold/Wix filter once a year in the spring. They usually see less than 2500 miles a piece per year. The '65 also gets about 100 passes at the track. I was changing the oil in the '65 every 50 passes but I sent a sample in to Amsoil and they analyzed it. They told me I could easily double my change interval.
Old August 12th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

2Xs a year especially when Qastrol 10W40 is on sale at Autozone.
Old August 12th, 2013, 05:43 AM

Every 3000 miles or 6 months. If the engine is started, it should be fully warmed up before shutting it off, which usually means driving it a few miles. Just starting it and running a few minutes in the garage and shutting it off can result in acid forming in the oil. Fully warming it up burns off the moisture that causes the acid to form, not to mention it also warms up and circulates the transmission fluid/oil and the rear end oil. Articles I have read say it is better to NOT start it than to start and not fully warm it up.
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM
GM Enthusiast

I run synthetic oil with Zinc additive and change the oil once a year. Only about 1 to 2k miles/year and no drag strip duty so more than sufficient.
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:09 AM

every 3000 miles or so
Old August 13th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Just an Olds Guy

uhhh, you have to change oil????

Based on mileage and storage time. Oil will break down in the crank case even if it's not being used all that often, especially in short drive situations.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by brown7373
Just starting it and running a few minutes in the garage and shutting it off can result in acid forming in the oil.
Originally Posted by Allan R
Oil will break down in the crank case even if it's not being used all that often, especially in short drive situations.
OK, guys, the chemical engineer in me is very interested in the alchemy apparently going on here.

First, for brown7373, what acid is actually forming in the oil? I thought oil and water were immiscible (meaning they don't dissolve in one another), and that the oil just floats on the water because of their density difference. I've always heard that the danger, as you do say, is in starting the engine but not letting it warm up. Moisture does accumulate in the crankcase because of condensation on cylinder walls and so forth, and this water is normally boiled off when the engine is next run and reaches operating temperature. If the engine is not allowed to reach operating temperature, the water is circulated in the engine but not boiled off, and it can corrode metal parts. But I've never heard that the water actually forms an acid.

Second, Allan, I've never heard that oil has a shelf life. It actually can be recycled indefinitely, and that's what happens to oil collected by repair shops when they do oil changes. We change oil every so often not because anything has happened to the oil directly but because of the accumulation of impurities that can degrade its effectiveness. Filter out these impurities, which is what the oil filter does up to a point, and the oil is fine. But as far as I've ever heard and read, nothing happens to oil that just sits at room temperature.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:30 PM

I have 5 quarts of quaker state 10-40 that has been sitting in my car since 1984 when the motor was pulled out. You think its ok to use? LOL
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 70vert
You think its ok to use?
Is the oil still in the original bottles or cans it came in, or is it in the engine that was pulled out?

If the former, there would be no problem in using it, at least in an engine of that era that was designed to use it.

If the latter, of course not, as whatever impurities were in the oil when it was last driven are still there, and of course you want to drain that oil and put in fresh. But don't throw the old oil away. Take it to a place the recycles used oil so that it can be reused.
Old August 16th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Justin

I still have a quart of slick 50 in a can that you use a bottle opener on still never opened and a sears 10w30 never used
They are garage art
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:08 PM

I was only kidding but it is in the old time bottles along with 5 whitlock and 2 target brand oil filters been sitting in there since the motor was rebuilt in 1984 and never put back in LOL
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:49 AM

My Jetfire will be changed every year because it will be driven enough. With the oil going through the turbo I figure it is likely getting hot while traveling through it. My Rallye 350 gets changed anywhere from 3 years to 5 years. It is lucky to get 200 miles a year with this year only getting 18 miles. I use mobil 1 and changed it 2 years ago. It looks like I just poured it in.
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
But don't throw the old oil away. Take it to a place the recycles used oil so that it can be reused.
Is that what they do with it where you are from? Do they sell it to a Jiffy Lube? Or maybe Penzoil? Around here it is filtered and resold to repair shops for use in used oil furnaces..........not in vehicles. Oil is contaminated by blowby and fuel plus wear (metal) in it. We send a sample of the oil in about every other change and you would be surprised what they can tell you. The last time there was a high reading of silicone and they said probably a dirty air filter. We washed the K&N out. So we will see next time.

I guess I'm old school but never thought too much with oil coming out as clean as it went in. Oil is supposed to take the contaminants out so not to create excessive wear on engine parts.

So I repeat.........oil is cheaper than a motor.
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 380 Racer
Around here it is filtered and resold to repair shops for use in used oil furnaces..........not in vehicles.
Every year or so, I throw mine in the back of the truck and drive it over to a nearby guy who fixes English cars, and heats his garage with waste oil.

Why give it to the dump, or some chain store for free, when a local guy can use it and save himself a few bucks?

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:23 AM

I live on gravel roads so you can imagine where my used oil goes.... Just dumped 50 gallons out last week.
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
I live on gravel roads so you can imagine where my used oil goes.... Just dumped 50 gallons out last week.
Another good use for it.

When I was a kid, every year the road crews used to re-do the road by our summer place - put down crushed stone, grade it, roll it, and oil it.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by 380 Racer

I guess I'm old school but never thought too much with oil coming out as clean as it went in. Oil is supposed to take the contaminants out so not to create excessive wear on engine parts.
I agree but I only have 231 miles on it in 2 years. At this rate, It will be another 2 or 3 years before i change it again.
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by 70vert
I have 5 quarts of quaker state 10-40 that has been sitting in my car since 1984 when the motor was pulled out. You think its ok to use? LOL
Quaker State? That stuff was not any good when it was put in the can
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:31 AM

I am not a chehemical engineer jauny75, but I have read numerous articles in various car magazines over the past 50 years about the potential dangers of not waming up the engine and oil sufficiently to burn off (evaporate the moisture) from the oil. Maybe the articles I have read are not accurate, but I have read many. I googled the subject and here is the first link I found. If you read aout 3/4 of the way down under Oxidation Inhibitors and Corrosion Inhibitors, it talks abut how acid can form.

http://motoroilbible.com/motor-oil-b...st-chapter.php
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Here is the referenced passage from the linked document (just to save you-all a lot of hunting):

Oxidation Inhibitors

As you probably can guess, oxidation inhibitors are additives that manage to reduce the tendency of an oil to oxidize (chemically react with oxygen). They are also called antioxidants. There are two types:

One type of antioxidant destroys free radicals. In fact, you may have heard of antioxidants which can be found in vitamin supplements. In human beings, free radicals can cause cell damage and even cancer. Antioxidants neutralize these free radicals in the body to reduce the chance of them causing any damage. In motor oil they serve a similar function by destroying free radicals that aid in the process of oxidation.
The other type of antioxidant reacts with the peroxides in the oil. These peroxides are involved in the process of oxidation. Reaction with the antioxidant removes them from the oxidation process, thereby lessening the chance of motor oil oxidation.

Oxidation inhibitors also serve one more very important purpose. They protect against bearing corrosion. You see, bearing corrosion is caused by acids within your motor oil. These acids come from combustion by-products, but they can also be the result of oxidation. So, by inhibiting motor oil oxidation, antioxidants also protect against bearing corrosion.

Corrosion Inhibitors

Although antioxidants prevent the acids caused by oxidation, they do nothing to neutralize the acids caused by combustion by-products. Therefore, other additives must be used in order to keep these acids in check and to protect engine components from their effects.

Some corrosion inhibitors are designed to protect non-ferrous metals by coating them so they cannot come in contact with acids within the oil. Other corrosion inhibitors are designed to actually neutralize the acids within the oil. The acid neutralizing capability of an oil is expressed by its Total Base Number (TBN).

Since diesel engines tend to have more acid build up within the oil, these oils generally have TBN between 9 and 14. Gasoline oil TBN levels are normally lower at 5 to 8. Generally, higher quality oils and/or those that are designed for longer drain intervals will have higher TBN numbers.

Synthetics will almost always fall at the high end of the scale for both gas and diesel oils, while petroleum oils will typically fall at the low end of the scale because they are changed frequently anyway. There is normally no need for petroleum oils to have high TBN values.
So, the question becomes, if using an oil with an adequate quantity of base additives to buffer the acidic combustion byproducts, does it matter if it sits in the engine for a while, or not?

In other words, the buffers should eliminate acids that have formed, so the oil should be relatively neutral, so there should be no harm in leaving it for a while.
Or is there more to it than that?

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 06:55 AM

My understanding is fully warming up the engine and oil burns off the moisture that causes the acid and corrosion. Here is a link to Quaker State Oil that also talks about acid formation. I admit that Quaker State knows more about the subject than I do.

http://www.quakerstate.com/#/used-oi...rotection-test
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

And here is that quote:
The purpose of this test, also known as the Ball Rust Test, is to determine how well an oil protects against rust formation after the engine is shut off. The need for this kind of protection might not seem obvious until you consider that water and acid are both byproducts of the combustion process. A certain amount of that water and acid ends up in your oil. So it’s important that some of your oil continues to coat critical engine parts, forming a protective rust barrier, even after your car has been shut down for the night and most of the oil has drained to the crankcase. Otherwise that water and acid could begin to rust your engine from the inside. In the Ball Rust Test a steel metal ball is submerged in the test oil. Acid is added to the oil. After 18 hours the ball is removed and inspected for signs of rust and discoloration.
My understanding is fully warming up the engine and oil burns off the moisture that causes the acid and corrosion.
The acid can be present in the oil, but needs a polar solvent, such as water, to dissociate into its constituent ions, which are the reactive components.
If the water is boiled off, the acids remaining in the oil should be relatively inactive.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 07:58 AM

I am not a chehemical engineer jauny75, but I have read numerous articles in various car magazines over the past 50 years about the potential dangers of not waming up the engine and oil sufficiently to burn off (evaporate the moisture) from the oil. Maybe the articles I have read are not accurate, but I have read many. I googled the subject and here is the first link I found. If you read aout 3/4 of the way down under Oxidation Inhibitors and Corrosion Inhibitors, it talks abut how acid can form.

http://motoroilbible.com/motor-oil-b...st-chapter.php
First off, I didn't disagree with your assertion that it's bad to not fully warm up the engine so that accumulated moisture can be boiled off.

What I was curious about was the acid formation you were talking about. The author of this article talks about acids forming from "combustion by-products." This is different from the oil itself turning into an acid. The acids he's talking about are impurities just like any of the other impurities that get into the oil during use, and the inhibitors he's talking about are added to the oil to mitigate the effects of these combustion by-products. The accumulation of these and other impurities over time as the engine is run is why we periodically change the oil.

To get back to the basic point, yes, the engine should be fully warmed up whenever it's started so that accumulated moisture can be boiled off. But, no, oil is not going to spontaneously turn into an acid if it just sits there in a cold engine.
Old August 17th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I guess my original comment about oil breaking down was a poor choice of wording. What I should have said was it loses some of it's 'effectiveness' over time whilst left in the crank case? My car hasn't run for 2 years and the oil was last changed in 2008. During that span it has made (2) 300 mile trips and several cruise trips around town. Enough to warm the engine fully. However when I redid the power steering the engine admittedly didn't get warmed up while I was bleeding the air from the pump and gearbox.

In our northern climate most of the engine wear/damage is caused by starting in very cold temps when oil viscosity can be an issue. That's why I've changed over to synthetic, and have a block heater since my car spends it's entire life outside.

I change oil myself (mostly because it's easy and waaaay cheaper than using a shop). The old oil gets stored till I have about 5 gallons, then I take it to a local tire shop that uses old engine oil for winter heating. It could also go to an ECO station to be recycled, but the tire shop is way closer and occasionally they do work for me (alignment), and I remind them I drop off used oil so it works out nicely.
Old August 17th, 2013, 09:35 AM

Every 3000 miles or 6 months. If the engine is started, it should be fully
warmed up before shutting it off, which usually means driving it a few miles.
Just starting it and running a few minutes in the garage and shutting it off can
result in acid forming in the oil. Fully warming it up burns off the moisture
that causes the acid to form, not to mention it also warms up and circulates the
transmission fluid/oil and the rear end oil. Articles I have read say it is
better to NOT start it than to start and not fully warm it up.

I said acid would form in the oil, I never said the oil would turn into acid.
Old August 17th, 2013, 10:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The acid forms in the oil as a result of combustion, and gets into the oil by blowing past the rings.

If the engine doesn't run, it doesn't form any acids. If it does run, it does.

The acids are relatively inert in the absence of water, but in the presence of water, the acids dissociate at a measurable rate into H+ and a conjugate. The H+ is highly reactive, especially in the presence of water, which facilitates electrochemical reactions, and can cause corrosion in places where you don't want it.

So, by reducing or eliminating the amount of water present in the crankcase and oil, you can minimize the amount of acidity, and therefore the amount of damage.
Since water exists in the air, and will condense inside of closed spaces with temperature changes over time, running the engine from time to time to heat it up and evaporate the water is reasonable.
However, since water is a product of combustion, running the engine will add some water to the crankcase (as well as adding more acids), and, more importantly, will add a lot of water to the exhaust system, which will cause premature rusting, so unless you heat up the exhaust system enough to evaporate all of the water there, as well, you are probably doing more damage by running the engine than by letting it sit with a miniscule amount of water and acids in the crankcase.

- Eric
Old August 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Administrator

The additives and friction modifiers break down. The oil gets contaminated over time, sludge forms, inside of engine gets ugly. Then if you change your oil at extreme extended intervals then the detergent loosens the sludge and distributes it around the engine and destroys bearings.
Old August 17th, 2013, 05:15 PM

I just run Royal Purple and yes with a zinc additive anyways, and change it once a year as I only run around 1,000 miles or less. This year looks about to be around 600 give or take. I figure that running synthetic that I am fine. Even with the added cost, that's only 1 time per year. Napa gold always.
Old August 20th, 2013, 01:40 PM
jfb

EVERY SPRING FOR ME AND IF MORE THEN 3 TRIPS TO THE STRIP THEN ALSO. i ALSO USE ZINC ADDITIVES PLUS SYNTHETIC CASTROL.
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:39 PM

my father in law takes the old oil and sprays the undercarriage, inside the fenders, and doors of his cars, and none of them have any rust. i think he has a good solution for used oil.