OAI Air Cleaner Assembly Question

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2013, 06:14 AM

OAI Air Cleaner Assembly Question

Hi folks! I own a 1970 Cutlass Supreme with a 455 engine and a RAM air hood. I do want to install an OAI Air Cleaner Assembly and have the base and lid for it. The issue is that my quadrajet Holley Street Avenger carburetor is sitting on a 1/2" spacer and don't know if the assembly is going to be to high for the hood to close well. I asked the question to an OPG rep and he recommended me to ask you guys, should any of you have had the same situation. See some pics for reference. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1593.jpg (69.7 KB, 343 views)
IMG_1594.jpg (53.3 KB, 243 views)
IMG_1597.jpg (67.4 KB, 247 views)
IMG_0934.jpg (89.4 KB, 278 views)
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:23 AM

It will hit with the spacer and may hit without it depending on what intake manifold you are running. Some aftermarket intakes are too high and some are not. I would take off the spacer, install the OAI set up and put some clay or some Play-Doh on the highest part of the breather and SLOWLY close the hood. If the clay or PD come in contact with the underside of the hood, you will know for sure. Your car looks too nice to make a costly mistake.
Old May 30th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
It will hit with the spacer and may hit without it depending on what intake manifold you are running. Some aftermarket intakes are too high and some are not. I would take off the spacer, install the OAI set up and put some clay or some Play-Doh on the highest part of the breather and SLOWLY close the hood. If the clay or PD come in contact with the underside of the hood, you will know for sure. Your car looks too nice to make a costly mistake.
Thanks for a quick reply and the compliments. That's right I don't want to make a fatal mistake and ruin anything. This one mechanic told me, if she is running well as is, don't play around with unnecessary changes. The OAI assembly costs over $450 + shipping. Here is a pic of the current intake.
Attached Images
Manifold-carb4.jpg (87.9 KB, 309 views)

Last edited by Don Roberto; May 30th, 2013 at 06:38 AM. Reason: attach pic
Old May 30th, 2013, 12:34 PM

The OAI set up will not fit with the Performer intake. It is about 1.75" higher than stock.

The ONLY aftermarket intake that allows the OAI to fit is the discontinued Edelbrock O4B (made in 2 flavors: Q-jet and Holley styles)

I have that manifold on my 70 442, and the only modification I had to make was to add about 1" to the pre heater air pipe.

HTH
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:41 PM

Thanks. I will not mess up with that.
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:46 PM

Don, don't give up, I have a Edelbrock Performer RPM which is substantially taller then a Performer. I used the stock air cleaner base, a OAI lid and a Cowl Induction (70 Chevelle) plate from OPGI. I then glued the OLDS foam to the plate. The plate fits perfectly over the stock 350 air cleaner base. I believe the 455 air cleaner base is the same diameter as the small block. It's an alternate solution to keeping the Air Induction Intake hood functional that works great for me.
Attached Images
OAI.jpg (92.8 KB, 348 views)
Old May 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM

OK. My concern also is that I have a 1/2 inch spacer under the q-jet which adds to the manifold's height.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 12:24 PM

I recently found this information from http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofinm.htm . Anybody has tried this trick?

Using with OAI
You can use the OAI air cleaner on the Edelbrock Performer intake. My fellow Oldsmobile Street Rockets are currently using this configuration. The secret is to take the OAI lid with the functional door, turn it upside down and remove the rubber seal thats connects to the air cleaner base. If you remove the rubber, it gives you about and inch to inch and half clearance. Thats just right for a HEI distributor and the Performer intake.
Old August 4th, 2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
Don, don't give up, I have a Edelbrock Performer RPM which is substantially taller then a Performer. I used the stock air cleaner base, a OAI lid and a Cowl Induction (70 Chevelle) plate from OPGI. I then glued the OLDS foam to the plate. The plate fits perfectly over the stock 350 air cleaner base. I believe the 455 air cleaner base is the same diameter as the small block. It's an alternate solution to keeping the Air Induction Intake hood functional that works great for me.

could you use the air flapper ?
Old September 25th, 2018, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 1970-W30
I like that idea! Did you delete the flapper? I really don't want the warm air going into the carb just the outside cool air
Old September 26th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by crank shaft
I like that idea! Did you delete the flapper? I really don't want the warm air going into the carb just the outside cool air
Just leave the vac actuator disconnected, it'll stay open.
Old September 26th, 2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by frankr442
Just leave the vac actuator disconnected, it'll stay open.
Thank you!
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:16 AM

How did this turn out for anyone?
Old August 12th, 2019, 10:31 AM

Here's what WILL work with an Original OAI hood , air cleaner lid and metal base, using an Edelbrock performer intake. ( note : no mods to the special OAI parts! Looks pretty stock as the performer intake looks similar to the factory W30 intake but with better flow ! ) Now the bad news : Remove the intake and have the top milled down to roughly 1/4 "'above the rest of the intake including mount for dash pot. The limiting factor is having threads for mounting the Carb ( Quadrajet) and clearing the HEI if equipped ( mine is ). My car originally had a 350 so air cleaner metal base is for a 350 - I added fitting at rear of intake for pvc adjusted snorkle an drilled housing for tubes from both valve covers to air cleaner using the 455 longer tubes. Obviously the Carb spacer can't be used with this set up. Oh I also removed the rubber seal in the bottom if the OAI lid for added clearance ( the snorkle prevents it from going down to far.) and test fit closing hood slowly! I modifled my " 350 " foam seal but need a new 455 seal due to cutting too much off at rear. I also lightly clearanced wire screen at back of hood that was scraping OAI near firewall . Works like a charm - looks stock! Good Luck

Tom