Julian Dates

Old April 8th, 2008, 05:16 PM

Julian Dates

Ok, so on this 1970 I picked up that has no # on the block, I got every other conceivable # off the car...everything comes back to original trans, correct manifolds, carb, etc.

This motor was supposedly rebuilt and I was told that "decking" the motor will remove that front ID # right off the block.

2 things - anyone know if there is any other possible way to confirm this is the original motor in this car?

And should the Julian Date near the distributor be before or after the actual build date?

Thanks!
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Site Admin & Motorhead

You sure there's nothing there? I believe it should be below the left/driver's side cylinder bank below the heads.
Old April 10th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Julian Dates

Someone sent me a pic in an earlier email and it confirmed where I thought it was supposed to be. Someone has removed the #s. We went over the area with sandpaper and there's nothing there. We know the motor was rebuilt mid 90s, back when most people didn't care about the whole original #'s/matching etc, so I am assuming the motor was decked, which removed the #. I have only had the car a short while and unfortunately need to sell it, and the buyer is now giving me a hard time, even though everything else matches and it's only a low $20s car! I was hoping someone else knew of something we didn't, so I could prove to him, but it doesn't seem like it. I'm going to try contacting the old owners and seeing if they can be of any help.
Old April 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I suspect that the block is from a factory replacement motor. I have seen blocks with no VIN before or with a few stamped numerals/letters that were not a VIN.