Quick help needed! Engine stand/hoist

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:51 AM

Quick help needed! Engine stand/hoist

Hey guys, I know this is a lil off topic for the section but I figured this would be where I get the best answer. I'm looking to purchase an engine hoist and rotisserie stand for a 455 project I would like to build up. I've been going thru Craigslist and found 3 stands and 2 hoists. My thoughts are wondering to what I should look for in a stand or hoist. Any brand names I should go for or avoid? Do you think used is acceptable or recommend the extra cash for a new one? Is Harbor Freight a good company?
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:11 PM

Jolly,
What part of the country are you? I've got a 2 ton hoist (barrely used) with fold up legs for storage and a rotisserie stand (brand new) for sale.
442 Jack
Old March 31st, 2008, 12:24 PM

Las Vegas, NV
Old April 1st, 2008, 05:33 AM
Past Administrator

Make sure you get additional screw handle attachment that allows you to adjust the tilt of the engine forward/backward while lifting it, priceless and worth the money. And get an engine stand that has a good wide, solid, four legged base on it, not a cheap tripod setup. I have heard harbor freight has all cheap chinese stuff, ok for some simple hand tools but I wouldn't want to buy a weight bearing tool there.
Old April 1st, 2008, 06:50 AM

442 Jack Where are you located if he isn't interested I am. Live in Northeast Indiana.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:06 AM

I am using the Harbor Freight cherry picker and stands. Get the heaviest stand. I used a pair of stands as a frame rotisserie. I prefer not to "stretch" the block by supporting it only at the back, so build engines on a 55 gallon oil drum with boards at the bell housing rails so the end of the crank is free. I got a couple drums ("barrels") from a company on Losee north of Cheyenne in Vegas. I don't remember if it is the Barrel Co. in your phone book, 642-7785.
Old April 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM

I've got a Harbor Freight 2 ton engine hoist w/ fold-up legs. It works good, I've used it about 6 or 8 times. It was $149 on sale. I like the fold-up legs, easy to store!

I have one of their engine levelers too. I think it was $40 on sale. Works OK, but the handle likes to loosen up when I'm cranking it. OK for the money I guess. If I'd get serious and fix/improve the handle I'd love it.

Also have one of their engine stands, 1000 lb. I think. Works OK, but it's easier to turn the engine if you lift the front of the engine while turning. Kind'a awkward, but again, OK for the money. This is the one piece I'd replace with something better. Or build one myself.

One final comment on my Harbor Freight engine stuff. The hoist and stand don't work good together. You can't get the stand to center up under the hoist because the fold-up legs are too narrow. What I usually do is bolt the adapter to the engine, slid the stand on the adapter & pin it then have someone lower the engine & stand while I tip it upright. A little awkward but it works. Have to do a similar trick to get the engine off the stand.

Don
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:22 AM

I bought an engine stand from Summit. I am happy with it.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM

I bought a hole saw set from Harbor Frieght and it broke the first time I used it.

I won't buy anything else from them, good thing it was only $3