Big Block and Small Block Heads

Search this Thread

Old February 19th, 2013, 10:57 PM

Big Block and Small Block Heads

OK what are the pros and cons to running SBO heads on a BBO? I know the heads with smaller chambers will raise compression but will flow be hindered? Is there a big difference in the valve size to worry about? Can you port and polish the SBO to flow like BBO heads but gain the compression? Problems with intake to head port matching? I know you can mill the BBO heads to raise compression but why if you can acheive the results without?
Old February 20th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Magna86
OK what are the pros and cons to running SBO heads on a BBO? I know the heads with smaller chambers will raise compression but will flow be hindered? Is there a big difference in the valve size to worry about? Can you port and polish the SBO to flow like BBO heads but gain the compression? Problems with intake to head port matching? I know you can mill the BBO heads to raise compression but why if you can acheive the results without?
You will spend way more money changing the valves and porting the heads to match than you will milling the BBO heads. Keep in mind that CR is only one part of performance. Increasing compression by reducing port flow is NOT a good trade.
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:33 PM

Sooooo...if I were to port my own SBO heads that I already have...and have 2.07 and 1.68 valves in it...and want to put them on a dished 455, there really wouldn't be too many cons, would there? haha I do understand it wouldn't be financially wise to pay someone to do it, but if I already have the resources available...it wouldn't be a terrible decision, would it? I'm only saying this because I already have everything and don't wanna spend money on another set of cores. Yup...it's an older thread, but just wanted some clarity.
Old October 19th, 2013, 04:41 AM

A waste of time and dollars. They are SB heads for a reason.........every thing important is reduced. They will hold the BB back and make it a turd besides being a PITA.
Old October 19th, 2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by brownbomber77
Sooooo...if I were to port my own SBO heads that I already have...and have 2.07 and 1.68 valves in it...and want to put them on a dished 455, there really wouldn't be too many cons, would there? haha I do understand it wouldn't be financially wise to pay someone to do it, but if I already have the resources available...it wouldn't be a terrible decision, would it? I'm only saying this because I already have everything and don't wanna spend money on another set of cores. Yup...it's an older thread, but just wanted some clarity.
Yes, it would be a poor decision, IMO. The SBO heads were designed for engines with less cubic inches. The BBO heads have larger ports to feed the extra cubes. They put BBO heads on a 400. You can't port SBO heads and achieve BBO flow.