Eagle crank for 455 , any good ?

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM

Eagle crank for 455 , any good ?

hey everybody new guy here !

im rebuilding my 455 that was in my Jetboat , basically it was a 50,000 mile cherry that came out of my grandpas '75 88 olds 455 ,.. its the 75 F block with the crappy J heads,.. i ended up blowing the gaskets from too much water pressure and lost oil pressure ,.. i was hoping it was just the water in the oil so i tore apart the motor and replaced all the gaskets and seals , new cam and lifters , new rockers , new oil pump and shaft ect ect ect ,..i got it running again with 15 psi of oil at idle and 30-40 at 2500 rpm , as i was 5 minutes into breaking in the cam the motor spun every bearing and locked up killing the crank ,. i see that Eagle makes a crank for around $600

has anybody here used one ?

can i run one of these cranks right out of the box or will it have to be checked out by a shop and possibly machined down ?

sorry for the long post and all the questions ,.. im glad to have found this forum !!
Old May 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

From what I've heard, sometimes the journals are egg shaped, and need to be cleaned up a bit.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:06 PM

By the time it's all said and done, you might want to consider a stroker kit.
Now that you've run bearing material throughout the motor, it's best you have it boiled out.
Pistons are probably scuffed, rings gone, and to buy it all seperatly and have the rods rebuilt, with bearings - - - - - you're there.
Old May 6th, 2012, 12:16 PM

They're fine but as mentioned have it checked before you install it. It's common for them to have to be turned .010/.010 but since your old crank is junk you really don't have a choice.
If you're upping the power you may want to consider better rods too.
Old May 6th, 2012, 04:18 PM

where are you located? i have good stock "N" cranks for $100. i am sure these would need turned also.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
where are you located? i have good stock "N" cranks for $100. i am sure these would need turned also.
i am in Austin TX , are you willing to ship if i cover the cost ?

i dont plan to make this motor a monster , , i want to keep it set up with a small log exhaust system , 750 Q-jet carb , i got a edlebrock comp cam for it and thats probably as far as i will go with mods , except i am also planning to do the oil restriction mods to keep the bottom end happy ,. the design of my boat i am stuck with a 5 qt oil pan so anything i can do to keep the bottom end alive this time i will do , i just want a reliable lake boat that will start up and run all day without any issues ,.. 50 mph max is fine with me as my inner jet skiier will be chasing invisable buoys out there

thanks for the info and help everybody !!

one last question ,..what are the options of having my crank welded and then machined down to spec ? is this not a good idea ?
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:14 PM

if you decide you want it i can do $135 shipped. i have several cranks, i can make sure it is standard size on the mains and rod journals so you will have enough to grind if need be. just let me know if you decide you want it. shipping will need to be with USPS.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:25 PM

here is some pics and a short video to show you guys what im working with :-) ,

Copyofghfgh057.jpg
DSC02194.jpg
1973-03.jpg
ghfgh075-1.jpg

http://youtu.be/HVZofWJtsbU

it was my dads that he bought in '73 and we been restoring the entire thing since around 2000 , he even bought me a paint rig when i was 16 and let me throw some new color on it and this was my first actual paint job , we also rebuilt and redesigned the entire interior including the floor and transom , stringers , ect ect ..it was all done in a driveway by just my dad and me over so many years , also got the window frames powder coated black and got new deep tinted windows ,.. everything was going good and we just about had it finished , then my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer it late 2011 and he passed away back in Feb . the boat was given down to me as this was the project him and l had built over the past 12 years and it has literally taught me everything i know .. i have been trying to get it on the water for the past few months but something always went wrong with it ,(nature of the beast i guess (boats)) im sure glad i found you guys im sure it will be running soon now !! :-D

here is a few current pics of the motor to

what does it mean when your valves look like this ?

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
if you decide you want it i can do $135 shipped. i have several cranks, i can make sure it is standard size on the mains and rod journals so you will have enough to grind if need be. just let me know if you decide you want it. shipping will need to be with USPS.
i will probably get one the more i think about it , can you get me a pic of one ?
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:36 PM

i will get you pictures tomorrow after work. can you PM me your email address. it is easier to send pictures that way.