455 idle overheating....and confused owner

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:25 PM
1970 Delta 88 Royale Conv

455 idle overheating....and confused owner

So, on my 70 Delta 88 vert I have a 455 with a 2bbl, have AC on the car, though the AC isn't hooked up (no belt). I have always heated up while idleling and advice I got on this forum was about the fan clutch. So, I went to the parts store today after Church and got a new fan clutch (and belts for good measure since I am in there working and they look like they are needin replacing). I start pulling apart and I am not confused, as I don't really see a fan clutch in this engine. I have posted pictures below of both sides of the new clutch, the fan itself, and the part the fan was bolted to.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
1970 Delta 88 Royale Conv

ok, so...

so....might be helpful if i actually put the photos in.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image1.jpg (49.8 KB, 57 views)
photo1.jpg (66.2 KB, 39 views)
photo2.jpg (54.1 KB, 41 views)
photo.jpg (57.7 KB, 50 views)
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:49 PM

If I'm understanding your post correctly, it looks as if you had a flex fan on the engine instead of the more standard clutch fan. A flex fan has flexible vanes instead of a clutch, for the same intended effect of reducing hp losses at high rpm while providing air flow at low rpm. How well they work is not something I've ever heard a definitive answer on, although there are lots of opinions both ways.

You don't want to mount a flex fan onto a clutch. If it were me, and I didn't have to worry about clearances of anything, I would find a good stock 7-blade fixed fan to install with your new clutch.

I've been considering a flex fan for my car as an alternative to going with a full-blown dual electric fan setup, as I don't have a lot of clearance between the engine and the radiator, and the fixed 4-blade non-clutch fan that the car came with is just too ugly for words.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I'm not seeing a problem here. Ditch the spacer on the pulley. Attach the fan to the fan clutch, then attach the fan clutch directly to the pulley. That's not a factory fan so you best make sure it has clearance on the hoses. Factory fans are 19" across.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

Re install the factory fan if you still have it.
Make sure you are running the factory fan shroud....they channel air through the radiator...they are a needed accessory.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Allan R
I'm not seeing a problem here. Ditch the spacer on the pulley. Attach the fan to the fan clutch, then attach the fan clutch directly to the pulley. That's not a factory fan so you best make sure it has clearance on the hoses. Factory fans are 19" across.
Sorry, but you'll be hard-pressed to get that chinesium flex fan attached to the stock-style fan clutch. Apparently whoever put that fan on trashed the original fan and clutch (likely because the clutch went south at some point). Unfortunately you'll need to find an original style fan to mate with that clutch. The factory fan has a large center hole that slips over the clutch from the rear and attaches to the clutch with four bolts.
Old April 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM

the only good use I have found for those flex fans is to slice a finger off when you are trying to work in there. as was said find a factory fan and make sure you have the correct shroud on it.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Administrator

Believe it or not I have that same fan on my car and so far it seems to a better job than the factory 4 blade fixed fan. I do not have the room in there for a flex fan setup.

A flex fan setup works great if you have the room.

What temps are you getting at speed on the highway, and what temps are you getting at idle in traffic? Does it recover quickly from a stop light when the car gets moving again?

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 15th, 2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sorry, but you'll be hard-pressed to get that chinesium flex fan attached to the stock-style fan clutch. Unfortunately you'll need to find an original style fan to mate with that clutch. The factory fan has a large center hole that slips over the clutch from the rear and attaches to the clutch with four bolts.
Ah, I stand corrected. Sorry about that. note to self: get eyes checked again....
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
the only good use I have found for those flex fans is to slice a finger off when you are trying to work in there. as was said find a factory fan and make sure you have the correct shroud on it.
Actually, I found another use for the one I ran when I was younger: RADIATOR DRILL- Able to drill multiple holes in one ka-bang, when it broke. Normal driving conditions. I'd go with stock set up.
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
Actually, I found another use for the one I ran when I was younger: RADIATOR DRILL- Able to drill multiple holes in one ka-bang, when it broke. Normal driving conditions. I'd go with stock set up.
yea, I have fixed lots of hoods over the years where the blades came up thru. I have bought several cars over the years that had them and they were the first thing to go in the trash.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:01 PM
XCELERATIONRULES!

The factory tends not to add extra parts that are unneeded.
They don't add extra items,they strive for setups that are cost efficient,and work.
I try to stay factory stock unless there is a huge improvement in performance.
Old April 16th, 2012, 03:03 AM

sounds like you have the same problem I do on my '68 98 which I post about a while back. I have a new clutch and blade on the way, hope that it will help.

the over heating is another reason I'm going to switch to the dual exhaust, instead of having the single and the driverside exhaust wrapping around the back side of the engine. I'm hoping the straight run of the exhaust will help eliminate some heat faster.