name that part

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2007, 09:20 PM

name that part

theres two items i need to replace. i'm rebuilding the engine right now. i've done some asking around nobody knows for sure what the part in the intake manifold is on this old car. i'm probably just going with an Edelbrock intake manifold but probably still need the intake manifold sensor(?) thing.
also wondering what the drum thing is. has a rubber piece and compresses when you accelerate. dont know what thats called but i need a new one cause the rubber has ripped off the metal part half way.
i've included pics
thanks
steve
oldz2question.jpg
olds4question.jpg
Old October 15th, 2007, 01:49 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Picture 1 is the water temp sensor. Do you have an idiot light or Rally Pak (gauges). They are different part numbers...make sure you get the right one.

Picture 2 is the Cruise Control. If you are going for a Performer RPM, you'll have to do some bracket fabrication for the linkage.

C.J.
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by texasred
Picture 2 is the Cruise Control. If you are going for a Performer RPM, you'll have to do some bracket fabrication for the linkage.

C.J.
Just to be completely correct, Item 2 is a cruise control actuator. It's a vacuum diaphragm. The cruise control system reads road speed and modulates the amount of vacuum in that diaphragm to pull on the throttle linkage the appropriate amount.
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM

the guy i bought it from said the cruise control wasnt working. do you think the torn cruise control actuator could be the cause? i've been looking for a new one online but havent had luck so far. is that a rebuilt part you could order from a local auto zone?
is the water temp sensor something i can also order from local parts store?
is there any aftermarket bracket available to mount the cruise control or any of you have pics of how you or someone you know mounted it good?
also, if i want to take the huge air conditioner unit out and keep it out do i have to close off the lines that it used to be attached too? it never had a belt on it's pulley when i bought it so i'm assuming the a/c (very heavy) hasnt worked in quite a while..it's dead weight
will i have problems just simply removing it? what about the huge piece (big bump) protruding from the firewall, near passenger fender,beside the engine, that the A/C was connected to, can i just take that off too?

Last edited by blue72regency; October 15th, 2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old October 16th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Past Administrator

Buck, you could check to see if the actuator is holding vacuum by using a piece of vacuum hose from a manifold port (you might find one plugged or be able to just use one that is for another purpose temporarily while the car is parked and at idle). Attach it to the actuator and start the car. I would think the actuator should "do it thing" and pull on the linkage. The water temp sensor should be available at an auto parts store. I don't think you will find much luck searching for the bracket, you may have to fabricate one yourself from the picture. Yes, you can remove the A/C compressor and all the other associated brackets and hoses. The firewall "bump" is another story, for the smaller cars like the Cutlass and 442s there are aftermarket heater box replacements that you can buy and people have even done it themselves. I remember someone doing that over at Realoldspower.com you would have to go over there and do a search of a phrase like "heater box replacement" to see how they did it and perhaps adapt that to your car. I removed everything associated with the AC from my 1969 Delta after I bought it in an in operable condition like yours it. It wasn't too hard.