pro comp heads

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM

pro comp heads

seen a set of pro comp heads on e bay I didnt see anything on their site
has anyone seen them up close ? They were under $700 for a set.

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/m/mBKp...m0kOrA/140.jpg

Last edited by firefrost gold; June 10th, 2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: want to deleate
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

from what i heard procomps castings are almost identical as stock as far as chevy's go but they are cheap and do have potential i did not know they made olds heads but i do know they are cast overseas for what its worth . just checked them out they look ok but idk about quality they got no flow numbers and probably need lots of porting to work well but for under 700 for a pair or atleast i think its a pair it might be worth finding out

Last edited by coppercutlass; September 29th, 2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

My guess is you'll get what you pay for. Rockers probably won't center on the valves among other things.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM

i tried to find info online for these heads aside from ebay i found nothing
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:02 PM

They look like an Edelbrock head.Maybe one of their previous castings.I'm sure they will be better than a factory iron head.If you want more,they will need work.There is no other way around it.$700.00 is probably for one bare head,and it will need minimal finish work,just to make them function correctly.Even a set of out-of-the box fully assembled Edelbrocks have needed additionl seat/guide work,but maybe their latest version has eliminated some of the careless slop.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:07 PM

Im sure they will, but boy what a price cut and a step in the right direction as far as more parts more choices
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:11 PM

it said on their ebay page it was for a pair., that threw me off. Im waiting till the reviews come in and see how they work id like a pair for my self with a price like that you will still be under what an edelbrock set will run you all said and done
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:22 PM

I dont know about the olds castings but the chevy heads are hit and miss. I have heard of some who had no problems but others whose heads had off center guides, valve seats in random places, etc. the ones with issues wound up costing more to fix then the Edelbrock or other heads.
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:20 AM

I would think pro comp would send a set or two out to guys like Bill at BTR to
test and get the word out on them . I have yet to see a test on the new rpm intake , how long till we see one on a pro comp head.
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:37 AM

results on other boards show the quality on the pro comp intake is hit and miss with fitment and rough castings. I would worry about the heads. What size of valves are they cut for?
Old September 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Maybe thats why they made the heads to match their intake . For a budget build ??? I will call them and see if thats a loaded head or bare.

OK yes that is for a pair of heads. Yes they are bare. Will use all the same parts as edelbrocks form valves to springs and stud's. They will have their own parts real soon. No flow numbers yet. They will in two weeks have a cnc program for them .

Last edited by firefrost gold; September 30th, 2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Registered car nut

Hope they are good. Nice to have options. I'd have to hear a bunch of good reviews to take a chance.
Maybe it will bring down the Edelbrocks in price. LOL
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:00 PM

Lets see here. You can buy a set of Edelbrocks for around 1550.00 to 1600.00 new by shopping around, complete with valve springs,valves and guide plates. So it you add the valve springs and valves to the $700.00 dollar set how much are you really saving? Will you have fitment problems with the valves that require work?
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:41 PM

who just bolts bolts on edelbrocks From what I have seen they get valve jpbs porting and
polishing cut and tweaked like Trick always says if it was easy every one would do it.
Old October 1st, 2011, 04:27 AM

No aftermarket head is truely bolt on. There are small tweaks needed on all of them. Edelbrocks, AFR, Dart and yes even Rocket Racing need some "fixing" before real use.
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:04 AM

That was my point too .
Old October 1st, 2011, 06:56 AM

yes but there is a big difference in fine tuning and removing valve guides and welding to straighten the valves. that was the point. the edelbrocks can be bolted on as is and work. the pro comps from people I have talked to have been found with guides crooked and seats offset and need major work to just to get them to function. porting and changing the valve cut angles is a choice but not neccessary to make the engine run. the pro comps for chevies are as I said a hit or miss on being able to use them without major repairs. I dont sell them and I dont have a dog in the fight, I just know what I have heard from others about them.
Old October 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM

I've done 2 builds with Procomps, no issue except the hardware wasn't the best. Otherwise fitment was good.
One downside I have heard is when using nitrous a few guys have experienced the seats coming out from the immediate drop in temp and not having enough of an interference fit, otherwise no issues.
And I think they're cast in Australia/New Zealand, not China.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM

Sooner or later,you will have the same amount of money in them.How else are they able to sell them so cheap?They pass more responsibilty onto you,the buyer,but the majority is overfocused on the price tag.Are you getting a cylinder head that is equivalent to the Edelbrock,Rocket Racing,or other similar head,but for less money,absolutely not.

The same concept can be thought about when messing with iron heads.Someone might have a nice set of fully ported heads for $2,000.00(just for example).One might say "gee,I can just buy a set of cores for less than $100.00,and have them done the same."$2500.00-$3,000.00 later,you will.There is no way around it.Although I must say,the majority of the time,the "nice used" heads available will need work too,or melted for scrap.
Old October 1st, 2011, 11:36 AM

The first ones are being cast in australia not china . Fully warrantee .
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM

Is that a money back warranty or a replacement warranty? If it's replacement do you really want another set of heads that crapped out on you the first time? lol!
Old October 1st, 2011, 05:50 PM

i agree that by the time you get the pro comps to compare to the edelbrocks or rocket racing heads you probably end up spending more. i spent 1000 on iron heads to rebuild them and do a competition valve job now think of it this way 700 plus 1000+ to load them up and they are going to need some porting done to take advantage of the investment you just made on the aluminum heads and you are well over 2000 there is no cheap way to go to aluminum heads
Old October 2nd, 2011, 05:54 AM

The warrantee is credit, not a refund. And I do believe they are cast in Australia not China. To me that makes a difference.

But I stepped up to the plate guys, I'm the guinnea pig, I just ordered a set, $645.00 delivered. I hope I don't get screwed.
I already have valves/springs that will fit them and I'd like to do some dyno testing on different stuff in the future if I can scrape together some parts, time and cash. I'd like to test the new RPM, the old Performer and maybe a Torker or two on an old '70 455 I have, a dyno mule if you will.

But I do plan to flow them right out of the box, then with a little bowl work and see how they perform. Valves will be 2.08/1.66. I figure we could all use some good hard facts, not just hearsay.

I'll let you know when I get them. I figure if I have trouble with them I can talk to Procomp directly at the next PRI show this December. I did that with a set of Eagle rods I got that weren't right. Brian at Eagle stepped up and had them reconditioned and sent back to me, free of charge. Imo that's the way it should be.

I'll keep you posted guys.

Last edited by cutlassefi; October 2nd, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:14 AM

Thanks Mark. will be cool to here what you think .
Old October 2nd, 2011, 08:07 AM

I think that is great. as I said some guys have had good luck, some have had problems so it will be good to see some real world results. the only other issue I have heard of is some feel that the heat treating of the aluminum is not good and they are softer than other brands. I think it has only been an issue on the guys running blowers or nitrous that are really stressing them. I think we will all be excited to see the results.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:01 AM

Looking forward to the data Mark, Thanks for being the effort.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 06:19 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I figure we could all use some good hard facts, not just hearsay.

Thanks for stepping up.
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
Thanks for stepping up.
No problem. I finally got ahold of someone yesterday at ProComp. They're on their way, should have them monday. I'll be out of town but when I get back I'll give you all a visual impression. Then they go to the flow bench.

I'll keep you posted.
Old October 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM

i definatley wanna see how these work. seems like a really decent price if they are decent
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:57 AM

W32 in Michigan recieved his & posted pictures.
They already upped the price to $849.00/pr.Getting closer to bare Edelbrocks.
Old October 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM

I dont see the olds pro comp heads on ebay anymore.
Old October 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM

I see them now on ebay. One place sells them for $849 and another place sells them for $795.
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:28 PM

might as well get the ebrocks and pay for the name but i'll buy the rocket racing heads way before i get any other brand money well spent goes a long way
Old October 7th, 2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
might as well get the ebrocks and pay for the name but i'll buy the rocket racing heads way before i get any other brand money well spent goes a long way
If it's a mild street build then the RR heads are a waste of money. Jmo.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM

i agree with that since i believe you have to run their intake which is a single plane intake but if its a mild build why not just stick with the iorn heads have them re worked. i know a few guys running tens with iron heads in sbo's done by rr. it's all in what you wanna do and how you want to achive it., for me id be better off having my iron heads ported since i already have money invested in them
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM

Huh? That's not what you just said. You're hard to follow.
I guess I missed something.
Old October 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM

i was saying if i where to buy aluminum heads i would buy the rr heads . When im ready for aluminum heads ill have something way faster . The procomps would be great if they wouldn't raise the price if they get up there with the bigger names then the appeal of a cheap priced aluminum head is gone and might as well get something with some good history behind it . also the rr heads are set up for your combo when you order them they arent built on an assembly line so to speak each set is built for your combination which is what i mean by money whell spent goes a long way
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by nonhog
Hope they are good. Nice to have options. I'd have to hear a bunch of good reviews to take a chance.
Maybe it will bring down the Edelbrocks in price. LOL
Funny thing they did just that for those of us who play with small block chevies... Edelbrock put out a new line of aluminum heads at a lower price point to compete with heads made by "overseas competitiors" <---- procomp. I think they call them the "E street" or something like that.
I thought these guys changed their name to RHS? (racing head service)
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
s.
And I think they're cast in Australia/New Zealand, not China.
Hi Mark,

in the interest of making sure our casting companies in Australia aren't blamed, I checked with the company and they are cast in Hong Kong, which I would say means they are actually cast in China, but they deal with a company in Hong kong who gets them cast.

Always good to have competition as to availability of parts

cheers
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by flatoz
Hi Mark,

in the interest of making sure our casting companies in Australia aren't blamed, I checked with the company and they are cast in Hong Kong, which I would say means they are actually cast in China, but they deal with a company in Hong kong who gets them cast.

Always good to have competition as to availability of parts

cheers
Correct, but the quality is good. However the casting isn't perfect but with a little clean up I think they would make a great street head.
And they could be used for a sbo if they fix the raised roof problem, it's kinda high for a small block intake.

Quick Reply: pro comp heads