1972 OAI Detail Questions (Repost)

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 02:27 PM

1972 OAI Detail Questions (Repost)

Had no luck getting responses for these questions over in the General Tech threads - hope someone can help - Thanks!

I'm installing a OAI set up on a 72 I'm doing - here's the particulars

1) Non A/C
2) 4speed
3) 455
4) Not a W-30
5) HD cooling

My questions are

A) I cant quite figure out what the assy manual is saying. Does this particular set up use the two valve cover breathers going to both sides of the air cleaner base with the PCV system working like the 69 Hurst and 70-72 W-30s (the nipple sticking up out of the intake) OR does the PCV go into the grommet on the driver's side valve cover with the vac. line going to the carb base? If the former, is there a cast iron manifold with that nipple and what's the P/N?

B) I know the starter cable runs in the "valley" of the driver's side valve cover and is attached by those plastic straps at the center valve cover bolt and the one immediately aft of it. First, should this set up from the factory use the weird metal stamped pinch brackets ( looks like it could secure the transmission modulator line) for both attachment points on the driver's side, or should it just the plain one (the stamping that just has another hole) for the aft attachment point?

C) According the assy manual the OAI hold down spring should actually attach onto the pinch leg and not go in the open hole so it would have to use that bracket on the center bolt at both valve covers - correct?
Old September 26th, 2011, 02:43 PM

Dont know if this link helps any. Trying to help out since I dont know myself.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ai-set-up.html
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by costpenn
A) I cant quite figure out what the assy manual is saying. Does this particular set up use the two valve cover breathers going to both sides of the air cleaner base with the PCV system working like the 69 Hurst and 70-72 W-30s (the nipple sticking up out of the intake) OR does the PCV go into the grommet on the driver's side valve cover with the vac. line going to the carb base? If the former, is there a cast iron manifold with that nipple and what's the P/N?

B) I know the starter cable runs in the "valley" of the driver's side valve cover and is attached by those plastic straps at the center valve cover bolt and the one immediately aft of it. First, should this set up from the factory use the weird metal stamped pinch brackets ( looks like it could secure the transmission modulator line) for both attachment points on the driver's side, or should it just the plain one (the stamping that just has another hole) for the aft attachment point?

C) According the assy manual the OAI hold down spring should actually attach onto the pinch leg and not go in the open hole so it would have to use that bracket on the center bolt at both valve covers - correct?
B) From what I know just the center one only has the weird pinch ends, C) yes, the spring mounts to the pinch part, not through the hole of the plain one. I'll try to help you with "A" but I need to look at it to refresh my memory

Last edited by stevengerard; September 26th, 2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks guys - between you responses and links (and a closer look at the CSM) I think I've got points B & C figured out.

I guess point A (made even more confusing after looking at the CSM in the emissions control section - PCV valve and hose routing) really comes down to did Olds have a cast iron 455 4 BBL 72 A body intake manifold with a nipple coming out of it for the PCV system?

Thanks again
Old September 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM

(A) I do not know from experience but I think there is a 4-speed non W-30 intake for 72 listed in my parts book. Will look it up and see.
Don W
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM

I've got a 72 442 4-speed (parts car). It's only a 350, but it had the pcv in the valve cover grommet. Only one breather, with a rubber plug in the side of the air cleaner base. I don't recall ever seeing an intake with a pcv nipple other than those listed above. CORRECTION - Looked at my assembly manual when I got home and saw that the 455 w/MT used an intake with a pcv nipple. Sorry, I guess I'll either have to bring my Olds info to work, or get a computer at home. In my defense at least I didn't say "they never made". I'm so embarrased to have posted wrong info I made a trip to the UMASS library to get online.

Last edited by frankr442; October 2nd, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old September 30th, 2011, 12:08 AM

My Olds parts book from Nov. 72 shows an intake for this specific application.
72 F85 455 4BC S.T. exc. W-30 part NUMBER 410441
From Supercars Unlimited they list the following for this application
CASTING number 407567 or 410448
I search google images for these two intakes. Looks like there is a boss for the nipple to be inserted if drilled.
I have a friend that has an original 71 442 4speed with the OAI hood. I hope to see him this weekend at a car show. I will talk to him to see if his car has the nipple in the intake. Have you tried a search on ROP? Hope this helps.
Don W
Old September 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Don,

Thanks so much for the info. Yes, if you would not mind looking at your friend's 71, it would be much appreciated. I've seen that intake you're talking about - it's got like a round flat area right where the nipple should go, but I've never seen one with the nipple on it "out in the wild". Havent yet tried Real Olds Power, but will go there next.

BTW, very cool handle (Shifty Sidney)
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM

My 71 and 72 W30s are set up with the two valve cover breathers connected t the air cleaner and the manifold is connected to the bottom of the carb.
Old September 30th, 2011, 07:23 PM
72 442 Conv Viking Blue

My 70 442 convertible W-25 4spd car had the original cast iron intake with the nipple on it. I think it was on all 4spds with OAI.