Intake oil leak

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Intake oil leak

Well, it's been a couple of years since I installed the new engine. Now, I am having an oil problem starting between the 4 and 6 cylinders on the intake. Checked the valve covers and no problem first. Re-torqued the intake, and still the same. After driving for say 20 miles, I have oil laying on the intake below the bolts.(2) Maybe an 1/8" or so. Intake gasket? Or can I pull the bolts, seal, and re-torque? Kind of lost on this one. Info- 455, Edelbrock heads and performer intake. Mr Gasket intake gaskets with the shield. I don't remember which one. I only have about 2k on her. However, I did change to Royal Purple last year. Any ideas?
Thanks Again!
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:58 AM

Any kind of synthetic has a better ability to creap out & make a leak.You might try removing the corresponding bolts on the intake,and see if the threads are oily.The oil could be wicking up through.You could wrap teflon tape around the threads,reinstall & retorque.If the shank & threads of the bolts are totally dry when you remove them,then it is likely coming from the gasket itself.
Old August 31st, 2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Any kind of synthetic has a better ability to creap out & make a leak.You might try removing the corresponding bolts on the intake,and see if the threads are oily.The oil could be wicking up through.You could wrap teflon tape around the threads,reinstall & retorque.If the shank & threads of the bolts are totally dry when you remove them,then it is likely coming from the gasket itself.
Thanks Brian. That is exactly the response I needed. I'll pull them this weekend and check it out. I did also think that maybe I should switch back to conventional oil. Just happen to have 7 qts laying around and zinc additive. Just need a new filter.
On another note, I still need a floor shift speedometer. The driver door glass you shipped me awile back cleaned up very nice. Looks great!
Old August 31st, 2011, 07:17 PM

Once you get a leak,switching back to conventional oil will not stop the leak.
I would do one bolt at a time.Once you have one retorqued,remove the next.
Old September 1st, 2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by 507OLDS
Once you get a leak,switching back to conventional oil will not stop the leak.
I would do one bolt at a time.Once you have one retorqued,remove the next.
Thanks I will do that. Still looking for a floor shift speedometer.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:41 PM

Old thread but what did you find the problem was? I have the same issue now, brand new 403 with battery charging time only as vehicle not on the road, but has starting blowing blue smoke constantly once warmed up. Removed the carb and pools of oil in each end of intake, cleaned up, it comes back and not being pulled through the carb from PCV or similar, but gasket below or other options I'd rather not consider.